Optimum 7mm-08 twist rate

I can push up to about 2790 with 168s out of mine. I built mine around the 140gr absolute hammer though which I run at 3003fps MV.
Is this AI on a long action and something like a 26 inch barrel or a regular short action and 24 or 22 inch barrel? I know I may get some grief but that type of velocity would be some good elk medicinal with a 168gr bullet provided accuracy is there and probably not bad on recoil. I have several rifles and a few magnums that I can use on elk but the 7-08 is a really good over all cartridge that can do a lot of multi purpose jobs.

Is this AI on a long action and something like a 26 inch barrel or a regular short action and 24 or 22 inch barrel? I know I may get some grief but that type of velocity would be some good elk medicinal with a 168gr bullet provided accuracy is there and probably not bad on recoil. I have several rifles and a few magnums that I can use on elk but the 7-08 is a really good over all cartridge that can do a lot of multi purpose jobs.
Won't get any here

Mine is built on a Rem 700 Short Action, with a 8 twist 24" proof barrel and nestled into a Mesa Precision Altitude Stock.

Sound like a good all around rifle to backpack.
My 7-08 is a Bergara B14 Ridge with a 22 inch barrel. I have it now in a HSM stock that I had to modify the mag a little for feeding. Very low tech mod. Mag was setting to low all the time causing a jam up so I cut a piece off one of my wife's thin cutting board sheets and epoxy it to the front side of the mag. Now it holds very solid and does not drop down causing the jam up like it did. Also the stock has the nice cheek adjuster. I also added a rifle basic trigger that has a lower adjustable weight than stock. Trigger pulls is about 2lbs. Makes it have a nice trigger pull. Only down side is the HSM stock is much heavier than the original stock. The Bergara seem to be about on par with the Remington as for smoothness. I think they could also be a good action to use for building off of as well. From what I read they are basally a remington clown.

Sound like a good all around rifle to backpack.
My 7-08 is a Bergara B14 Ridge with a 22 inch barrel. I have it now in a HSM stock that I had to modify the mag a little for feeding. Very low tech mod. Mag was setting to low all the time causing a jam up so I cut a piece off one of my wife's thin cutting board sheets and epoxy it to the front side of the mag. Now it holds very solid and does not drop down causing the jam up like it did. Also the stock has the nice cheek adjuster. I also added a rifle basic trigger that has a lower adjustable weight than stock. Trigger pulls is about 2lbs. Makes it have a nice trigger pull. Only down side is the HSM stock is much heavier than the original stock. The Bergara seem to be about on par with the Remington as for smoothness. I think they could also be a good action to use for building off of as well. From what I read they are basally a remington clown.
I built mine specifically as a coues deer back packing gun. With bipod, suppressor, scope and a full mag it weighs like 9.2lbs. Can obviously shave off a couple pounds by ditching the bipod and suppressor if really needed.

Mine with the 22 inch barrel is like 11 pounds. The stock added about 2 to 3 pounds to it. I can always put the old stock back on but I do like the cheek riser. I generally run a 20moa rail on all my guns so the riser really helps.

Remember, Wyatt's extended mag boxes for Rem's and perhaps a Bergara, and I put them on all my 700's.

Most of the barrel makers are using computer-controlled rifleing methods now. The method of using a tight cleaning brush in the bore, measuring travel over 12" is approximate for several reasons. It is smart to check the twist rate when you get a barrel from a gunsmith to make sure it was not mis-stamped.

If you are shooting in ultra-cold conditions, this warrants a fast twist, otherwise, do your twist rate calculations and choose twist accordingly. An increased rate of RPM may be what you want, but on cup and core bullets, higher RPMs may or may not be a good thing as they may shed their jackets quicker AT SHORT RANGE. Higher rpms' may aid in bullet expansion as the distance grows because RPM's do not slow down at the same rate as velocity.

I've had way more accuracy issues with slower twist than faster twist. The exploding bullet thing is also way overblown unless you are dumping them through a fast twist 7rum or similar.
I was working with 150 ablr pills when they came out and my 10" twist 7stw wouldn't stabilize them but the 9.25 on my Dad's 7stw was just fine. 10" is definitely too slow for spindly mid weights even in a 7stw.
I have blown up some 168 and 180 Berger and 175-180 Sierra in my 8" twist 7rum when I started putting the cobbs to them. I settled on a 175 eld-x with enough H50bmg below it to pass 2900 fps. I could stomp it a good bit, but with a short throat and a fast twist I may see bullet destruction before 3100 fps anyway, so why bother.
My 8" twist 7stw eats about anything rather decently but actually shoots mid weight pills like the 140 ab the best. The load I developed back in 2004 for my Sendero 7stw is still what I load to this day.
My 7-08 is a Savage Striker pistol and she is fond of 154 Hornady fb and 150 bt bullets. It's not even really a fan of 140 Sierra's so I never did go lighter. My boy did kill his youth season deer this year with the pistol. 250 yards with a 154 Hornady launched at 2400 fps with I4895.

Tssk, Tssk, Tssk...

Just me... but

Not sure why someone would want a 7mm-08 hunting rifle with more than a 9 twist and weigh over 8-9 lbs all up. It is outstanding in this configuration.
If one needs more power to shoot faster and flatter for long range hunting... go with the bigger 7's or a larger caliber.
7mm-08 is a wonderful cartridge... but it is what it is and is great at what it does within it's powder capacity.
We just cant make it what is isn't.

7/08, AI, 260, AI, 243,AI all benefit from a Wyatt's extended mag box in a Rem 700, there is no down side other than the expense. An additional .125 in OAL is a great thing. The Creeds also benefit from the longer mag length.

With a little practice, you can inlet your action for the slightly larger mag box with a Dremel Tool with a carbide bit. This operation is not hard at all, you also move back the distance on the bolt stop, another easy thing to do.

Last edited:
7/08, AI, 260, AI, 243,AI all benefit from a Wyatt's extended mag box in a Rem 700, there is no down side other than the expense. An additional .125 in OAL is a great thing. The Creeds also benefit from the longer mag length.

With a little practice, you can inlet your action for the slightly larger mag box with a Dremel Tool with a carbide bit. This operation is not hard at all, you also move back the distance on the bolt stop, another easy thing to do.

Thanks I wondered how much trouble that would be.

Thanks I wondered how much trouble that would be.
I'm shooting the150 ELDX at 2750fps with 47.0 grains of H414 in a 22" RAPredator.

Accurate Load & does the job for whitetail.

48.3 is book max but 48.0 was too hot in my rifle. I'm going to try for 47.5 & see how it shoots.

The ballistics for either the 150 @ 2800 or the 162 @ 2700 is impressive for a 7mm-08 case: so much so that I'm now going to have a 7mm-08 barrel cut for my trued R700 rifle.

I'd stick with a 22" 1:8 to 8.75" twist & let it eat.

Attachments

• 308EBE7C-0326-4327-AE71-1AE449F13D0E.png
    308EBE7C-0326-4327-AE71-1AE449F13D0E.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 5D7736A6-01CA-43D0-AACB-F0EC6054D780.png
    5D7736A6-01CA-43D0-AACB-F0EC6054D780.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 37
A 25", #4 contour, 7/08 AI, 9 Twist, throated for 162-168 would be awesome, have a wyatt's mag box installed on a Rem 700 to give you extra COAL.

A pard is shooting the 180g ELDM in his 7/08 AI, throated properly, with amazing accuracy with a 26" #5 contour, X caliber barrel, Gentry muzzle break, R#17, on a 8.5T Brux, smidge of powder, close to 2700 fps, Lapua brass of course.
Throat the ackley or 7mm SAW with .150 Several reason Ackley did what he did.Most Ackleys have short throats,Factory throats back in the P.O.'s day had long liability throats.7-08 wasn't his,but I think it is .060 throat.Less bolt thrust and shortening throat back closer to bullet ogive ,while fitting in magazine.More velocity,yes,not as much as I thought.Example my 788 has been a 6mm,then 6mm ackley now a 7-08 Ackley,perfect fit for the short magazine,easier bolt lift with 7-08 max loads and the biggest plus,is accuracy with shorter bullets, cause they are closer to rifling and still runs heavier bullets fine.Even a new Tikka 6.5-55 swede have throats to allow the loading of a norma 160 round nose fmj,it's loooong, look at the hornary 160 rn,