Optic for new shooter

Jackson, NF and Leupold are gold standards. However, don't be shy about mid-grade. Vortex Viper PST and Burris XTR-2 in 3-15x50 are excellent optics for both closer range and stretching out. I have a 6.5 CM with an 18" barrel that I put a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 on, and I'm very pleased with it. I also have an NX8 4-32x50 on a 260 competition rifle I have. Between the Veracity and the NX8 I feel comfortable dialing Both for shots with ranged distance, though I don't plan to shoot the Veracity past 500. I chose the Veracity over the XTR-2 line, as this was mainly for a HUNTING application, and the FFP in the Veracity is designed to be used over the whole magnification range. I have used other FFP tactical scopes, and at the lowest setting, I found the reticle is too small, and it gets lost in brush, making quick shots at close range when you jump a deer very difficult. The Veracity has very thick outer lines that work very well as a cross hair at minimum magnification. You can find the Veracity 3-15x50 at DVOR for $450 right now, as opposed to the $2k-ish for the NX8 or Mk-5s. ALso, I have used both Vortex and Burris customer service in the past, and both were pleasant experiences. If you're near a Cabelas or Sportsmans warehouse with taxidermy displays, try the different reticles, attempting to bring up the scope for a quick shot on minimum mag at the taxidermy. With this in mind (and my old eyes) I sold other tactical scopes that were useless to me on minimum magnification, and then bought my NX8 in Second Focal Plane.

20" 308 1:10 krieger barrel. Load supplied with the gun is a 185 berger juggernaut with reloader 16 2,610 FPS. Have 23 rounds on hand the previous owner loaded. I am trying to find components to load it the same way he
20" 308 1:10 krieger barrel. Load supplied with the gun is a 185 berger juggernaut with reloader 16 2,610 FPS. Have 23 rounds on hand the previous owner loaded. I am trying to find components to load it the same way he did.
Cool! Based on that you will be stable out to approx 950 yds. Killing energy is a personal judgement call? Tracking is the key! SWFA has some very good scopes in the $300.00 to $700.00 . Running SWFA fixed 10x power on my 308's. ($299.99 on sale $250ish) Pushing 168gr Sierra Match Kings at 2600fps / 462bc. = stability to 800yds. As well, Athlon also has some very good scopes. The Ares BTR $850, ( on a 7mm Rem Mag 1200yds shooter) the And ARES ETR will run you $1200. (Running on a 338 Lapua Mag to 1400yds) These are quality scopes I have experience with and had very good performance from. All of the scopes above will track true. Best of luck!

Just a word of use with both the nightforce and Leopold, .I have always used Leopold with friends using both, during all of our shooting most all the guys ended up wanting to try my Leopold with the new v x 5 h d it is awsome. Just purchased my second one.

The optica 6 3-18 diachro reticle ffp scope isn't a target scope but I can shoot raggeg holes at a hundred yds mainly a hunting rig 6.5 prc proof barrel curtis axiom action ag stock trigger tech trigger glass under 800 dollars meopta is hard to beat for the money checklovokian scope

20" 308 1:10 krieger barrel. Load supplied with the gun is a 185 berger juggernaut with reloader 16 2,610 FPS. Have 23 rounds on hand the previous owner loaded. I am trying to find components to load it the same way he did.
If you are at my elevation 1k feet that load will be supersonic to about 1100 yards. You should make it to 1000 with it ok.

3 notes

1. You're just getting started in this so don't write off FFP. If you use a retical hold in a SFP and forget to have the magnification at the right setting you'll be sorry.

2. I have moa and mil scopes. The math is more difficult for me with mils when I'm zeroing, but after that the holds and dialing is just a number and less a measurement.

3. I have yet to put my hands on a scope that is better for the money than a bushnell dmr 3.5x21. Rock solid everything, clear, repeatable, great Mag. Range. 3.5 is great in the woods, 21 is great for open country and target practice. They list around 1100. I bought my first one used a few years ago for 800, bought my 2nd last week on this site used for 750. Only downside I see is you wouldn't want to pack it up a mountain.

3 notes

1. You're just getting started in this so don't write off FFP. If you use a retical hold in a SFP and forget to have the magnification at the right setting you'll be sorry.

2. I have moa and mil scopes. The math is more difficult for me with mils when I'm zeroing, but after that the holds and dialing is just a number and less a measurement.

3. I have yet to put my hands on a scope that is better for the money than a bushnell dmr 3.5x21. Rock solid everything, clear, repeatable, great Mag. Range. 3.5 is great in the woods, 21 is great for open country and target practice. They list around 1100. I bought my first one used a few years ago for 800, bought my 2nd last week on this site used for 750. Only downside I see is you wouldn't want to pack it up a mountain.
+1 on his first and second points. I have no experience with the third however.

I have a rem 700 in 308 with viper pst gen 2 have taking it out to 1200 yrds at a class at bangsteel my son and i have been to another class and the instructor had a couple of athlons on his rifles we shot them some some they was very clear and tracked good also

Meopta also have second focal plane in their optical 6 and their new optical 5 scopes meopta used to make the zeiss conquest and Zeiss put their name on it optica 6 scopes are great scopes they have a lot of reticle choices now

As a few others have mentioned, the Zeiss V4 is a fantastic hybrid LR/Hunting optic. I run 2 of them. One has the ZMOA 2 reticle and the other has the T30 reticle. Both are fantastic. You can buy open box "demo" optics from Redhawk Rifles for a significant discount with a full warranty.

As a few others have mentioned, the Zeiss V4 is a fantastic hybrid LR/Hunting optic. I run 2 of them. One has the ZMOA 2 reticle and the other has the T30 reticle. Both are fantastic. You can buy open box "demo" optics from Redhawk Rifles for a significant discount with a full warranty.
Second the v4 I also run the zmoa and t30 reticle, very happy at the price point 👍🏽

VX5HD 3-15x56 or x 44
I have one with 56mm lens and my father has one on the 44mm lens both are firedot. We love them a lot! I personally believe for the money the VX5HDs are the best. But that's a personal opinion and u will get 100000000000 different opinions. I plan on picking up a NX8 4-32x50 but will have to get the money built back up for toys lol!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.