Opinions - Savage Long Range 6.5x284

Kobra

Seeking everyone's opinion on the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284. Don't need this rifle but I have been interested in it since it came out and I got a line on a NIB one for $799 out the door. The 6.5x284 Norma has interested me for awhile. Probably just another deer rifle would be the official use.

Fill me in....

Thanks.

I probably can't tell you anything you don't know already. But, I have handled a few of them and they look very slick. I've never shot one but I pretty much like everything about them. I don't need one, but I definitely want one.. just in a different caliber.

I have owned one for several months now and am very impressed with the accuracy. I also own a Cooper 52 in 6.5-284 and can say that the Savage LRH produces the same level of accuracy, .25-.5 MOA consistently at 500 yards, the max distance I have measured the groups. It's no Cooper as to fit , finish and design, but it was 1/3 the price. I like the adjustable comb, and the barrel weight. Don't like the rubbery feel of the stock and had to do some sanding as the fore end tip makes contact with the barrel. Probably one of the best long range rifles out of the box for the money. If you can get one for 700 I would grab it. Lots of people are waiting 3 months or more to get one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.