opinions on mountain rifle

ill probably opt to reload for my 28 once i get it, so i could spend some $ for the 6.5-284 dies too i suppose. ive been looking at barrels for a 6.5-284 for a while now just never pulled the trigger..

I have 2 6.5x284, and while I like them, I find that I don't shoot them a whole lot. I still need to get dies to reload them and factory ammo is pretty spendy and not super accurate put of either of them. I'm probably going to have one of them rechambered to 6.5prc as they're ballistically identical and there's good, inexpensive factory options if I don't want to reload for it. On the Savage, all I have to do is change the barrel and bolt head. The prc and 6.5x284 will both feed from a magnum size mag box

I don't have any experience hunting bear. I'm just wondering. Just asking a question. If you're going for bear why not something bigger than you need? How about 375 Ruger, or 375 H&H? Good break, good pad, You should be fine. If you're not looking for that long shot, how about 35 whelen? I'm just curious. I'd be interested to see what other people think. Particularly people who have experience hunting bear.
Johnny

I don't have any experience hunting bear. I'm just wondering. Just asking a question. If you're going for bear why not something bigger than you need? How about 375 Ruger, or 375 H&H? Good break, good pad, You should be fine. If you're not looking for that long shot, how about 35 whelen? I'm just curious. I'd be interested to see what other people think. Particularly people who have experience hunting bear.
Johnny
I'm curious too but OP did say he was only hunting black bears and I think the 375's are more brown/griz territory type calibers. Again, I have no experience hunting bear of any kind and I was told last month that everyone in Alaska hunts big bears with 308 Win and anything more than that is "silly" so I'm not sure.

I live in AK so my veiw might be different than people in the rest of the country, but Black bears seem pretty easy to tip over... I'd be comfortable with a 6.5 or larger, so long as I was fairly unlikely to end up being charged by one. If I was in really thick timber I'd probably bring my 7.5lb, 20" barrel 375h&h or a 45 caliber lever gun.

But lots of AK natives use an AR and 55gr ball to kill them, as well as caribou and moose so.....?

Brown bear I'd want a minimum of 300wm or 338 federal maybe.

Hard to believe everyone wants a big magnum for moose and they shoot them with 223s. Same with caribou being bigger than deer and drop them with 223s. I for sure wouldn't use a 223 for any big game but it does show you that it can be done. What do most natives use on brown bear.? Just curious because they can and will eat you. Ask Timothy Treadwell.
Shep

Hard to believe everyone wants a big magnum for moose and they shoot them with 223s. Same with caribou being bigger than deer and drop them with 223s. I for sure wouldn't use a 223 for any big game but it does show you that it can be done. What do most natives use on brown bear.? Just curious because they can and will eat you. Ask Timothy Treadwell.
Shep

Not too many of the native people eat brown bear so they aren't really huntwd too often by them. Usually it'll be a some sort of 30 cal. Like a 30-06 or a 300wm, but 338wm and 300rum are super popular too.

When it comes to caribou some villages will drive them into the water, then go over with a boat and shoot them in the head with a 22lr, and 30-30 was used for decades on polar bears (way bigger than brown bears). They definitely use whatever is easily available.

After seeing all this up here, I'm planning on a 6.5prc as my primary hunting rifle unless there is some reason for something bigger. It should be plenty for the black bears, moose and carribou.

I know this is a long range hunting forum, but with that said I am not sure that I would shoot at any bear at 700+ yards. If you see one at that distance I would bet you could close the distance for a more accurately placed shot in the vitals. With that said a 7mm-08, .308 .338 Federal or in LA .270, .280, .30-06 will all work well. 1st shot accuracy on bears will usually put them down quickly with minimal tracking. Shots that do not hit vitals result in lost bears. More energy retention & less variables at reasonable ranges. I am sure I will get lambasted by all the dyed in the wool long range guys here, but there are more 600+ yard internet shooters than there are real life in hunting condition shooters that can make those type shots in hunting conditions.

I know this is a long range hunting forum, but with that said I am not sure that I would shoot at any bear at 700+ yards. If you see one at that distance I would bet you could close the distance for a more accurately placed shot in the vitals.

This. Even if you shoot it across a canyon you still need to hike over to it. Bring an injured rabbit call and save some walking lol

More than a handful of times while out hiking with friends and a dog with a bear bell on it I've come around a corner in the trail and been face to face (less than 50ft away) with a black bear. Usually we're both startled and they just kinda trot away.

Last edited:
You may to want to take a look at the Weatherby Ultralight Rifle. Comes with a thin 24 inch Krieger Stainless Fluted Barrel, in 30-06 . Its 5 3/4 lbs. Leupold 2.5 to 8 VX 3 is 12 ounces. 30-06 would work great on Black Bear with a 165 to 180 Grn Bullet. I own the rifle, in .270 Win. and its my #1 favorite Deer Rifle.

I understand what you are saying, sort of.
I believe there is only one reason to not buy yourself a new rifle. You need to buy your wife a new one.

Exactly! Though I think you could tell your wife you got a two for one deal. Everyone needs more rifles especially for big scary bears. ;)

Shep

Thanks Shep. I'm just trying to get the whole thing figured out. I appreciate your insight.
Johnny

Don't get me wrong. I would choose a 6.5 for bigger animals. But if I was going for brown bears I would want a .338. Something that hits hard. The only hard part about the ops question is he wants a gun to work very close and to 1000 yards. That's not the easiest combo for a single rifle. So I would definitely say big heavies in a 7mm or 30 would do it.
Shep

Okay guys so i have a 7mm rem mag and 6.5 creedmoor, going to invest in a 28 nos build soon. however these are all my pretty guns that i dont want to get all beat up and rusty. im 5'10 165 lbs for reference here. i have a savage action i could build off of, or i have a 7mm-08 (compact/youth model) from when i was younger and smaller. this gun id use to bear hunt. is 7/08 enough in mountain laurel? shot could be 50 yards or 700-1000 across the valleys. should i build off the savage, use the 7/08 i already have, or buy another gun? please list any recommendations for calibers also as i am not a big bear hunter. thanks in advance.
Okay guys so i have a 7mm rem mag and 6.5 creedmoor, going to invest in a 28 nos build soon. however these are all my pretty guns that i dont want to get all beat up and rusty. im 5'10 165 lbs for reference here. i have a savage action i could build off of, or i have a 7mm-08 (compact/youth model) from when i was younger and smaller. this gun id use to bear hunt. is 7/08 enough in mountain laurel? shot could be 50 yards or 700-1000 across the valleys. should i build off the savage, use the 7/08 i already have, or buy another gun? please list any recommendations for calibers also as i am not a big bear hunter. thanks in advance.
I've had three 7-08's and one 7-08AI Believe me when I say it's NOT a cartridge/gun that can be relied on for clean, responsible 1,000 yard kills. Out to 600-700 max. It'll poop out shortly after that.
300Win Mag/300PRC/338 especially if your bear hunting
IME

I had a Mod 700 built for my marine SIL for a LRH elk rifle. It has a 26" Shilen Sporter weight 300 RUM ( with a brake). I had a the smith 'slim & trim" a Boyd's Classic Laminate stock for it. My SIL put a Huskemaw 5.5x20 "dial em in" with the proper dials to match my handload, 200NAB close to 3100fps. He shot a big cow elk a tad over 440yds, one and done. He "still" had to bust through knee deep snow/oak brush to get to her and pack her out in pieces. That alone would have killed me! ha. Its a good 'Mountain rifle" for the long shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.