Opinions on Gunwerks LR-1000

Einsam Wölfe

Hey guys,

Just curious, I'm looking for a new gun to shoot out to 1500 yards and I was wondering if the Gunwerks LR-1000 was worth buying. If not, what gun would you suggest? I have a very high spending limit and am willing to buy a higher price gun if it can shoot 1500 yards.

Thanks for the help,

Einsam Wolfe

If you are willing to spend that kind of money go custom! Have Shawn at DE build you custom 338 Edge I think you will be much more satisfied knowing that you are the only one with a gun that looks like that and that you with the help of your smith picked out the parts for the gun!
Just my .02

Hey guys,

Just curious, I'm looking for a new gun to shoot out to 1500 yards and I was wondering if the Gunwerks LR-1000 was worth buying. If not, what gun would you suggest? I have a very high spending limit and am willing to buy a higher price gun if it can shoot 1500 yards.

Thanks for the help,

Einsam Wolfe

The gunwerks rifle is a very good product. But realize, they are like anyone else, and wish to make a profit b/c they are in business like anyone else. I have no problem with that. If you choose to buy one of their rifles, you will most likely be very happy.

That said, there are lots and lots of very good smiths around. Many are members here. And, you could get a comparable rifle for less money with almost identical parts. A quality built rifle is only half of the system. Your reloads and shooting ability make up 50% in my opinion.

1500 yards is a long shot. If that happened to be my goal, I would prefer something on the larger side, like a 338 RUM or 338 Edge, or at least a 30-378, maybe the 338-378. I'd opt for a heavy rifle with a 30" barrel, in a #6 contour myself. I'd use a fluted bbl too.

Since you said you have a very high spending limit, let's play :D.

Definitely go with a BAT action. I'd choose a bbl from any of these: Krieger, Bartlien, Hart, Broughton, Lilja, or Obermeyer. I'd prefer a McMillan stock and bedding with this:

MidwayUSA - Score-High Pro-Bed 2000 4 oz Glass Bedding Kit Black

There are many bedding compounds and each smith has their reasons for what they use. Devcon steel and titanium putty, and marine tex seem to be among favorites. But, as far as my rifles go, I prefer the high-score pro bed 2000.

Jewel triggers are my favorites, set to 1 pound. Bottom metal, mags, rings, bases are all kind of a wash for me so long as they are of good quality.

All of the above are if you choose to pick components and send them to a smith, or they can be ordered by him. On the other hand, if you had someone like Jim Borden build your rifle, you can use one of his Rimrock stocks and his actions, which, to me, are excellent, but a BAT would still be my first choice.

If you want to spend some big bucks for a complete rifle, you can also look at Kenny Jarretts stuff. Very pricey, very accurate.

You can also sink about $4000 into a sweet Sako custom by Accuflite. I've got one. Accuracy is rediculous. It was actually built by Dave Bruno in Dayton, PA.

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with the 338 Edge. I just read a history on it (on this website) and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I especially like the stock and grip.

That being said, what addons and upgrades do you guys think I should get. This is really the part where I'm a newbie. I know I need a good scope, probaly a muzzle break (right?) and bipod. other then that, I'm running blind.

Thanks again,

Einsam Wolfe

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with the 338 Edge. I just read a history on it (on this website) and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I especially like the stock and grip.

That being said, what addons and upgrades do you guys think I should get. This is really the part where I'm a newbie. I know I need a good scope, probaly a muzzle break (right?) and bipod. other then that, I'm running blind.

Thanks again,

Einsam Wolfe

I think Shawn prefers Hart bbls. Check with him. Quite frankly, they are one of the best bbl makers in the world. Again, I'd order a BAT action for the build since you have spending money. I like Nightforce scopes. I have one with the NPR-2 reticle. In fact, you can go with Nightforce rail, rings, and scope and you are done with that part. You will want a brake. See my above post for the "other stuff." Moreover, simply ask whomever you plan on having build the rifle what they suggest in terms of parts.

If I was going with that caliber, I'd be happy with either a Hart, Broughton, Krieger, or Bartlien bbl.

Thanks again,

Einsam Wolfe
When you go to shawn at DE to have a 338 edge built you can chose the stock action barrel everything to make that rifle custom to you! But yes a brake would be a good idea if money is not a factor the go with a nightforce scope 20 moa base, haris bipod.

I get sore everytime I see a post that says our rifles are overpriced! There's a ton of work that goes on after the rifle is completed and assembled. Anyways, for your specification, our product doesn't fit the bill. Our guns are legitimate 1000 yard guns that are VERY simple to use. 1500 yards is a whole different animal, requiring a different configuration. The heavy bullets in the 338 edge will do it. A 20 MOA base and a NF scope also fit the bill. I would suggest the McMillan or Manners stock with a beefier forend and vertical grip.

We do have a new handheld ballstics program coming (its been a slow project). We had to develop new software for realtime calculations in our rangefinder, and we figured we might as well build a handheld version. I think it improves on the NF and Cheytac versions. Its easier to use, has spindrift and corriolis calculations, and you can even enter multiple wind conditions. I tried to account for verticle winds, but it turned into a pain. We'll do it on version 2.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.