sierra 165 gr HPBT 2140 LR on deer opinions

learjet

got a chance to take 20 some whitetails on crop kill permits, with shots up to 800yd possible. while ive been ringin steel and shootin groundhogs out there the past few years, all my deer huntings been 200yd and in. i started usin the 165 when i needed a hunting bullet for my m1a. darn things have become my standard accuracy test bullet. every 30 cal gun that ive messed with shoots that bullet awful well. they have always knocked deer down quickly at 200yds and in w 308s, 06s etc. my question is what do u guys think of their terminal performance at longer ranges/reduced velocities? a buddy of mine talked w sierra a few years back, and they recomended 2500fps minimum for good terminal performance. even outta my 300wsm ill only have that velocity out to 200yds.

id like to avoid buyin a bunch of 'exotic' expensive super huntin bullets and have to start all over again w load development etc, but i will if needed. ive got plenty of dope for scenars and smks, but im not gonna use them on deer for this hunt; ive seen the dissenting opinions on match bullets on game here, and ill just say im not going to do any experimenting myself at this farm.

anyone else usin the 165HP?

thx!

lear

You first need to check to see if it is still super sonic at 800 yards as this may not be the case depending on your muzzle velocity and elevation.

just shoot them into some jugs full of water at 800 yards and that'll tell ya what they'll act like when shot into a deer. as Bob said, the maximium distance you want to shoot, might be less than 800.

thx guys, ive got good dope on the 165 to 600+, but i consider my useful range w them to be 600 with what ill call home field advantage. im mostly curious if anyone has any experience w them terminally at 1100-1500 FPS? the jug tricks a good idea, ill give it a try

lear

I used 165 gamekings a few years back out of a 300 win mag with good results. Doe at 250 yards shot through front shoulder and most of the bullet made it to the hide on the opposite side (bullet came apart). It did a real nice job on her though, I do not think the 2500fps you heard about is right. Sounds like it should be more like 1500fps. Good bullets and I may use them again some day. I nicknamed them devastators.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.