Opinions on building a long range hunting rifle.

One reason to go Savage is that if price is a factor for you, you can do the build yourself with a $60 in tools versus paying a smith to assemble the action/barrel for you, aka Remington.

Off-the-shelf, the Remington Sendero is excellent. In a 300 magnum it is a 900 yd gun. Nothing wrong with a higher end Savage on that too. Remember that with the quality solid components and heavy barrels on these guns comes a price, they are relatively heavy. I carry my Sendero in the mountains but most of the guys I hunt with would not try it.

IMHO the RUM doesn't gain you a lot for the recoil unless you really need to reach 1000 yds on elk. I'm comfortable with 300WM/WSM but I think I'd have to brake a RUM to enjoy it and I don't enjoy anything with a brake, and if you add one that's additional cost. That's a lot of headache for an extra 100 yds or so. If I was going to go as far as braking a rifle I'd get a 338 and be done with it.

If you buy a Savage with the intention of building your own, remember that the WSM cartridges use a larger barrel shank than the other rounds!! While the bolt face is easy to change, if you buy a small shank action you won't be able to convert it to WSM.

I'm packing around a Savage mod 12 270 WSM in a B&C medalist stock and all loaded down with scope, bipod, stock pack with ammo and ammo in the mag I'm setting @ 12.5lbs. I pack it all over, just don't use a sling as it really screw up things with it hanging on a shoulder. I pack it in hand or over my shoulder, it is balance so well you really don't notice it over your shoulder.
I have around $1200 in my entire rig, ready to go, that will barely get a Sendero. My rifle shoot consistanly around 1/2 MOA. I was looking at the Sendero but I could not justify an other 600 dollars.

Last edited:
I have been looking into some different 300 wsm. But I am noticing that everything comes with a 24" barrel. Do they make it with a 26". How much does the barrel length effect ballistics?

You're not going to find a stock barrel more than 24" (24 3/8 for Sako) in a WSM... unless maybe Savage has a varmit model with a 26" barrel??? No worries, they shoot fine with a 24" bbl. The short fat cases shoot well in shorter barrels. I got 3193 out of my 24 3/8" Sako with 180 E-Tips and RL 17 vs 3400 out of a 26" 300 RUM and the 180 E-Tips.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.