long range hunting rifle

mulegotbeer

shoot a 300 wsm in a tikka t3 lite , looking for some thing with a bit more drown range energy , 30-378, 338 rum,338 lapua , 340 weatherby , kind of leaning towards a weatherby mark v any info would be great , would start reloading eventually

Welcome to LRH! And a bit more info would help other give advice on this subject.

How far are you wanting to shoot?
What kind of animals are you going to be hunting?
Do you reload?
Are you considering a custom rifle?

I have a 300 win mag that I have had for a few years for elk up to 1000 yards. Last year I decided that I wanted more down range velocity and energy. I narrowed it down to the 338 EDGE or a 338 Lapua. I went with the edge, mainly because I already had a rem 700 la in the safe ready to go. I am VERY happy I chose the edge. I had a load worked up in about 9 rounds and it is very accurate beyond a mile. The 300gr bullets are very impressive compared to any .308 bullet once you get past 1000 yards.

Mike

First, I would say start reloading! You will get a lot more down range energy off that 300WSM with handloads and it will save you money.

Second I wouldn't do a 30-378, it is expensive brass and a barrel burner. You can get a Mark V Accumark in 340wby, 338Lapua, or 338-378wby. While you can by ammo for these cartridges, in order to get the most out of these you really need to handload these big boys.

The 340 is a big step up from the 300. You can buy good quality Norma brass for less than your WSM brass ($175 per 100 for 300wsm vs. $142 for 340).

The 338 Lapua will give you another 150fps than the 340 but it does come at a price. Norma brass is about $225 per 100 or Lapua for $258 per 100.

The 338-378 is really an elite long range cartridge. 100 pieces of brass will run you $300. You will have to buy a lot of powder because that big case holds a lot (100 gr+). I really think you need to be out beyond 1300 yards or so before you see any big gains from this big boy.

Of the three I would do the 340wby, because I am cheap. It will give you 1500lbs of energy beyond 1200 yards.

I don't own a Mark V rifle but I do load for my buddy's 300wby. I have shot it quite a bit and personally I like the Weatherby, I will probably get an Accumark some day. Having said that, you can build a custom off a Remington or Savage action for less than a new off the shelf Accumark.

sorry about the lack of info boys , i have hunted most of my life , but am very green to the gun world , i would like to shoot out to 1000 plus yards.I live in british columbia canada, and hunt deer, moose ,elk buffalo,and some bear .I dont reload yet as my job prevented me doing a lot of hunting and shooting. Now that im home more and have the time to do these things more with my bot. I got him a vanguard 7m 08 , i really like the way it shoots and feels. My local gun shop said i should buy a mark v, said they are gauranted to shoot sub moa out of the box. I dont know enough yet to buy or build a custom rifle , so thats why i was looking at the mark v, or sendero

Mule- your tikka is a good lightweight carry rifle. where you live the big ones like the 338 lapua, 338 rum ect. Make a lot of sense. an accumark or a sendero are good long range factory rifles. i would get a remington 700 with a krieger barrel . a stock of your choice and if i was you i would start reloading right now. also you will need a good range finder and a turret on your scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.