Opinions on build vs custom

JLP83

Hello all, I have a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero rifle that is completely stock and have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 scope mounted on it. I've been using this setup for fun shooting and hunting for the last several years. I've never had anything custom so its been the nicest setup I've ever owned or operated.

However like most people I'm never satisfied and want to dive in a little deeper. I'm considering spending some coin to make improvements on this gun or maybe selling it and buying a new custom rifle from a reputable builder. At some point I'd like to start entering LR matches and want something that I can use for events and still hunt with. I do most of my hunting from fixed positions so weight isn't really a big concern.

What should I do. Start building the rifle I have or sell it and go full on custom build? What changes would you make to the Sendero? If I go the custom route who is your recommendation? I know GA Precision has been one of the top builders for a while now but who else should I be considering?

I would consider selling it. It is a long action with a mag bolt face. Any rifle for competition will most likely be a short action non mag bolt face. You might decide on something like a 6.5x284 though for the long action, but would have to have a new bolt because of the mag bolt face.

Probably really need to decide on the cartridge you plan to use, then consider what to do with the Sendero.

IMO, If you plan on hunting a lot I would keep it! That way you have a good excuse to build a custom toy :). I have a 300 RUM in the sender, and I put in a timney trigger & I glass bedded the recoil lug & This gun chews a ragged hole @ 200 yds, and groups @1&1/4 @ 400 yds, & 2in @ 800 yds. I do reload so that helps ALOT! I'm no long range shooter & have only started getting serious on long range shootin the last few years. The sender has a HS precision stock that is aluminum bedded, not the best out there but glass bed the lug & your way ahead of the game!

I agree with the guy above... Keep the Sendero for hunting, and build/buy something else for comps. You can never have too many guns.

Also I would put in a aftermarket trigger! I'm not a fan of Remington triggers, even after they claim they fixed them, although I'm also in the group of people that had issues with remingtons xmark pro. I'm actually in the process of buying a 260 rem & leaning towards setting it up like my sendereo as far as trigger, stock, & bed the lug. It's either that or custom build off a 700 action.

I've had my eye on a McWhorter 6.5 Creedmoor. Only thing holding me back is the price tag. If I went that route I would take the scope off my Sendero and put it on the new gun and sell the Sendero. Seems like it would make for a better target gun and still adequate for game up to deer size.

The itch is strong.

The sendero is a perfect rifle to upgrade into a long range machine. Drop some coin on a stock, bed it, buy a first class trigger, get a 20 MOA rail and upgrade the rings and you have a fine rig.

Also I would put in a aftermarket trigger! I'm not a fan of Remington triggers, even after they claim they fixed them, although I'm also in the group of people that had issues with remingtons xmark pro. I'm actually in the process of buying a 260 rem & leaning towards setting it up like my sendereo as far as trigger, stock, & bed the lug. It's either that or custom build off a 700 action.

If the OP's rifle is an original Sendero or Sendero SF model, then it should have the old Remington/Walker trigger in it. Those are exceptional triggers...I have a bunch of them in rifles. The SFII model Senderos have the crappy X-Mark Pro triggers, like all other Remington rifles from about 2009 to current. The X-Mark Pro is complete garbage. If you have one, throw it in the trashcan, and get a Timney or Trigger Tech or Jewell.

The gun builder I use outside of Houston is building a lot of 6.5mm Creedmoor's for local 1000 yard competitions.

I have 2 6.5mm - 6.5mm x 280 Ask imp that I love hunting with and I used picked up a 6.5mm x 257 Roberts Ask imp that I am starting to build a load for

I've had my eye on a McWhorter 6.5 Creedmoor. Only thing holding me back is the price tag. If I went that route I would take the scope off my Sendero and put it on the new gun and sell the Sendero. Seems like it would make for a better target gun and still adequate for game up to deer size.

The itch is strong.

You can build a custom off a blueprinted 700 action for less than $1,500... Go this route and you can afford to keep both rifles. You don't have to spend $4,500 on a rifle to have a comp-worthy gun. Trust me, I know...I've built 6 or 7 customs over the last 3 years. Other than the cost of the optics, none have cost me over $1,200 using pawn-shop 700 rifles as donors. You search around, you can find some really cheap deals on stocks and triggers and such...Alot of that stuff can be found right here in the forum classifieds.

Ya I had the new SFII Sendero with the garbage x mark pro. I was hunting with the Sendero 7mm & a deer came out so I take the safety off & the gun went off! Thank GOD I practice gun safety & the gun was pointed in a safe direction. I have been hunting for almost 30 yrs & that was the only time anything like that ever happened to me. I never chambered another bullet into that gun until I replaced the trigger which was a week later.

Mudrunner
I'm thinking I can buy a 700 sps in a 260 rem for around $550, then I figure the stock $500 & trigger $200 puts me into that range. The only downside is that it would be a matte finish of the action/barrel with a 24in barrel & Im kinda fond of the SS finish, also the 26in barrels. My problem is I'm to dam picky :) but I have so much fun lol

Mudrunner
I'm thinking I can buy a 700 sps in a 260 rem for around $550, then I figure the stock $500 & trigger $200 puts me into that range. The only downside is that it would be a matte finish of the action/barrel with a 24in barrel & Im kinda fond of the SS finish, also the 26in barrels. My problem is I'm to dam picky :) but I have so much fun lol

Why not get a threaded 22" heavy barrel with 5R rifling, and a decent stock from the factory... All you'll need to do is bed the action and swap the trigger...

I was thinking about getting the new Gen2 5R in .260 Rem, but I can save over $400 by getting this rifle...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ul+Bolt+260+Remington+22+5+1+Magpul+Stk+Black

And I don't have to immediately swap the stock. I love HS Precision stocks, and I have big hands, but the new HS stocks with the massive palmswell feels completely unnatural to me. I like the old Sendero stocks with no palmswell, but those are hard to find. Hell, I have 3 new 5R Milspec factory green/black HS Precision stocks that I want to sell/trade just because of the stupid-huge palm swells on them.

Hello all, I have a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero rifle that is completely stock and have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 scope mounted on it. I've been using this setup for fun shooting and hunting for the last several years. I've never had anything custom so its been the nicest setup I've ever owned or operated.

However like most people I'm never satisfied and want to dive in a little deeper. I'm considering spending some coin to make improvements on this gun or maybe selling it and buying a new custom rifle from a reputable builder. At some point I'd like to start entering LR matches and want something that I can use for events and still hunt with. I do most of my hunting from fixed positions so weight isn't really a big concern.

What should I do. Start building the rifle I have or sell it and go full on custom build? What changes would you make to the Sendero? If I go the custom route who is your recommendation? I know GA Precision has been one of the top builders for a while now but who else should I be considering?

The itch is strong.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Scratch the itch and go "FULL" custom, pick your components (custom action, custom barrel, custom stock, after market trigger, etc ...) and a reputable gunsmith to build your dream rifle and have fun with it. :):Dgun)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/stock-action-vs-blueprinted-vs-custom-176094/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.