Opinion on Leica CRF 1200

wildcat

I bought a brand new range finder today. I decided to buy the Leica CRF 1200 Rangefinder. I have heard really good things about Leicas. My buddy owns the Leica CRF 900 and it's really nice and very clear. Would like to hear what you guys think.

W.

I have owned both the leica 1200 and the Swarovski and tested them side by side for several months. On bright sunny days in the desert the leica will not range with the Swarovski. I have seen days days when the leica 1200 would range past 600 yards and the Swarovski would still range the target at 1K..

I agree w/what jwp475 said.

The development of a good range chart equalizes things very well.

At my "ambush spots" I found that I can range to 700/800 yards in the bright sun. However, just before sunrise, she'll range in excess of 1300 yds.

I spend a lot of idle time drawing the features of the area and log the laser'd ranges to each feature.

All of this makes for interesting camping/scouting experiences during the preseason.

The trick then is to get the game to approach one of the logged features.:rolleyes:

Also I've learned to NOT estimate range between ranged features and non ranged features. Its better to continually improve the range chart.

Additionally the Leica 1200 Scan will out range the comfortable distances that I am able to shoot. However, I'm sneaking up on it.

Wildcat
I've been looking at the CRF and the LRF 1200. Did you compare the two and what made you go with the CRF?
Thanks

Swarovski?! Durn, you guys must be rich...or not a single parent (like me) or single :D
I own a Leica CRF 1200 and I love it; I've ranged trees out past 1300yds...
Good luck!

Ok if I jump in here:confused:

I believe the innards and performance between the two are the same.

The CRF is a handier configuration.

I beleive that you are correct Roy. Niether Leica will give readings anywhere close to the Swarovski. I have gotten readings with the Swarovski past 1900 Yards, the Leica is not even close...

I've been able to also compare the Leica and Swarovski side by side and the Swaro could always range things the Leica couldn't. Farthest I've ranged with my Swaro is 1980 yards.

When I bought the Swaro it was the only one I could find anywhere at the time, but since then supply hasn't been a problem. I've never been sorry about the cost as I'd really be irritated to have a gun that has more range than my rangefinder when it come to big game hunting.

Even the Swaro fails though when playing with rocks, steel or paper past 2000 yards.:rolleyes:

With my Swaro I ranged a brown coloured barn between 1885 and 1991 yards as I was moving away from it, and I got treelines at 1300 yards all this was done at 1pm with slightly partly cloudy skies, it impressed me. Now I will try it on some cows and see how far I will get readings on them.
Elmer

Last year hunting antelope in WY I had a 1200 CRF and Steve Hugel was using Ernie's Swaro. Over 1k Ernie's worked better but sometimes under 1k I was getting readings while Steve couldn't get one. Not that often but it surprised me that it happened at all.
If I had trouble at longer distances I would start at a closer distance then use the scan mode to work my way out to the target and it worked almost all the time.
I don't get a chance to hunt over 300 yds here in WI so the small Leica really is all I need. It has made a lot of coyote hunts, well this year it went on a lot of snowshoe hikes.

Mike

Well they shouldn't be comparable at all if you look at price in the equation.

Why would someone spend:

$960+ on the Swaro if it was equally as good as the Leica at around $430 for the LRF 1200? These are prices for brand new units on each one.

For more than double the price, the Swaro should range better.

For the pricepoint however, the Leica is a steal IMO.

If you are realistically going to be ranging 1000+ yard shots, then buy the Swaro.

If you are like me and the rest of the world HUNTING under 1000 yards, then the Leica deserves serious consideration.

This being said, both of these are excellent laser rangefinders....and the top 2 until you step up to a $3000 one.

I agree with you newguru. The LRF is the best buy for the buck. For the size deference, I prefer the CRF.

I ended up buying the CRF 1200 and it cost $699.00. It's an impressive range finder. I now have owned both the CRF 1200 and the Swaro. They are both excellent range finders, and I too would give the nod to the Swaro for longer ranges.

W.

Last edited:
I have to agree with most everyone else. I have the older leica 1200 and a new swaro. Swaro ranges better all the time. But what I haven't herd anyone say is that the swaro is also better as a "looking glass". I am a major Leica fan, having their best spotting scope and binos. I don't think the quality of the lenses are any better, but the 30mm vs 25mm objective lens just plain lets in more light. I guess I am not sure what size the objective is on the CRF. Maybe they went to a bigger lens!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.