Opinion of Meopta optics...

This guys sells vintage alpha German optics and almost has what you want;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEOPTA-ART...804444?hash=item1a7bd67edc:g:tTwAAOSwREhc2HhQ

That fella is selling some very fine vintage optics! I was tempted by the Meopta fixed 6X scope in its day. The Artemis line of scopes was underpublicized and underrated. They were superior instruments to anything else in their price range at the time.

Now that the Nammo Group has acquired Lapua, Vihtavuori, and Berger, I think they would have a monster on their hands if they were to acquire CZ and Meopta, while aggressively pursuing the North American market. If wishes were horses...

Can't say enough good things about the Meopta scopes. The 50mm scopes pull in the light very well at dusk and dawn. Turned several guys at work on to them. Place to get them is cameralandny.com. Check for open box and demo specials. You can save a few hundred that way. I got a 3.5-10x44 Meopro a few months back for $350. Vortex 10x50 Diamondbacks are another great value. I got a nice buck two weeks ago thanks to my Vortex and Meopta combo that evening. Minox ZA5 scopes aren't to shabby either.

The store a worked at for 14 yrs carried the meoptas when they first hit the market. Didnt sell well because the company didnt spend any money on promotion.
I can tell you what the meopta factory rep told us at the store during our sales " training " seminar. First off, meopta has made medical optics for years . You know, the very high quality microscope and imaging stuff. They are , or at the time (around 2006ish ?) the only scope company that makes their own glass lenses from starting with a big chunk of German glass stock to finished, coated lenses. They use a clear floride coating that doesnt give any "illusions" of brightness like some of the high ends companies do. Many ultra high end scopes use a white floride coating that tricks your eye into believing the scope is brighter than it really is. In a brightly lit store, the meopta looks slightly dimmer than , say a Swarovski. Take the same scopes outside after sunset, and the difference is negligible. At the time, the company was just getting into sport optics, so they MIGHT have lagged slightly behind other high quality scopes in the other important attributes of a quality shooting optic, but they were being very aggressive to close that gap. I doubt you can find a better scope now, for the money. They simply have a dollar for dollar advantage on the industry because they cut out the middle man on glass production.

Last edited:
I bought a meopta meostar R i3-12-56 RD 8 years ago made in Czechoslovakia and it really has been a good sight. But now a problem has arisen in the left right reticulum and the meopta doesn't even respond to my mails. I think since they have branches in the US they have cheaper good sights but assistance has failed, I think my next one will be a Kahles Helia 2.4-12x56i

I bought a meopta meostar R i3-12-56 RD 8 years ago made in Czechoslovakia and it really has been a good sight. But now a problem has arisen in the left right reticulum and the meopta doesn't even respond to my mails. I think since they have branches in the US they have cheaper good sights but assistance has failed, I think my next one will be a Kahles Helia 2.4-12x56i
Customer Service Department at 800-828-8928
I needed a new rubber ring on the eyepiece of my S2 and they sent one for free.

I have a number of Meoptas.

the Meopro binoculars were not very impressive. The Meostars were decent, but not Leica/ Swaro quality by any means.

As far as the riflescopes, surprisingly the older 3-10x44 meopro is very bright, as is the 3-9x50. In fact, the x50 meopro lasts longer into the twilight than the 2-12x50 R2 Meostar, which costs 3x as much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.