Opinion of Meopta optics...

I bought a meostar 3-15x56 awhile back for coyote calling at night but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. Initial impression is good though and glass is nice and clear.

At this stage I own two Meopta scopes, one is the Meopro 4.5-14x44mm HTR which is mounted on a Weihrauch
22 Hornet. The other is a Meopro 3-9x42mm on my wife's
CZ 512 semi auto 22. The optics in both these scopes is incredibly good considering the price is about half that of top tier scopes. The HTR model tracks very well. All in all I am very impressed with Meopta products.

Meopta makes great optics and great products. Up until about 9 months ago, or so, they did not concentrate at all on promoting their own brand. They are the company that made the Zeiss Conquest line of riflescopes for years, which was essentially a re-wrapped Meopta Meopro. They make various optics for Cabelas as well, however, they spent no $$$ marketing their own brand. Stupid IMO.
Towards the end of last year they hired a top guy, who was with Nikon for over 20 years, and put him in charge of the Sports Optics division.
He immediately started to implement changes to get the Meopta line of offerings starting with their binoculars. He understands the best way to get folks to use a product is get it into their hands so they can see how great it is. He immediately cut the prices of all binoculars 20-30%. You can now get a Meopta Meopro 10x42 for under $500.00 and the Meopta MeoStar 10x42 HD for under $1,000.00. They have enhanced their offerings of riflescopes too. They have also hired a few great people for tech and customer support.
All great steps in a short time.

Please feel free to give a call to discuss which Meopta is right for you and keep an eye on them as I do believe the next couple of years will bring exciting changes to their offerings.

Meopta has built products for many European optical companies over the years. The Cabela's Euro products are from Meopta. They are a good unit at a nice price. I haven't used thier riflescopes, but I am sure they are first rate.

I have four MeoPro scopes on my hunting rifles, among Swarowski, Leupold, Sightron etc. The MeoPro scopes are pretty impressive, especially for the price - very clear, good contrast, good low light performance. I love that they publish % light transmission.

If you buy a McWhorter rifle package they come with Meopta scopes. They must believe in them if they are putting them on $7000 rifles.

The Meostar line is fantastic glass, their binoculars & spotters are top notch but their riflescopes(except the Optica6) lack a parallax adjustment which is a big in the long range game. If you aren't shooting very far it's not a big deal.
The Nightforce spotting scope is a rebranded Meopta.

Last edited:
I have a set of MeoStar 10x42 HDs I like them a lot.i have owned and friends own meoPro HTR scopes and they dial and track good...no complaints. The glass quality is right up with the best.

I have an older Artemis 2000 1.5-6x42 with the 4A reticle. It has a steel tube, excellent glass, FFP, and is built like a tank. It is the best low light performer of any scope I have ever owned. Its only weakness is that the eye relief is a bit short, around 3". That said, I wish they still offered this scope for sale. I would own another one.

4ARETSUB.JPG

In general, I have a very high opinion of Meopta optics. They are high quality and offer excellent value. My frustration with Meopta is that they don't seem to understand what features are needed/desired by American shooters and hunters. I believe this is what has held Meopta back from being a major player in the North American market. If they made scopes with features better matched to the kind of shooting I do, I would own more Meopta scopes.

I also own two first gen Zeiss Conquest scopes. For my money, I got excellent glass, reticles that I liked, side focus, and external turrets. The only drawback was 1" tubes with limited internal adjustment.

The current Sig Sauer line of scopes offer a lot of attractive features, but they really need better reticle offerings.

IMO, with a little homework, Meopta could beat them both in quality, features, and price.

Last edited:
My frustration with Meopta is that they don't seem to understand what features are needed/desired by American shooters and hunters. I believe this is what has held Meopta back from being a major player in the North American market. If they made scopes with features better matched to the kind of shooting I do, I would own more Meopta scopes.

The current Sig Sauer line of scopes offer a lot of attractive features, but they really need better reticle offerings.

IMO, with a little homework, Meopta could beat them both in quality, features, and price.

Exactly, they haven't adjusted for our type of hunting, MOA, parallax, lots of elevation, lighter than Nightforce. Their 2.5-15x56 you could practically see in the dark with but it's missing some critical things.
I agree about Sig and they are a little on the heavy side, customer service has been hit or miss, I think they are having some growing pains that they will overcome very soon.

This guys sells vintage alpha German optics and almost has what you want;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEOPTA-ART...804444?hash=item1a7bd67edc:g:tTwAAOSwREhc2HhQ

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.