Looking for opinions on optics!

slickyboyboo

I am currently building a custom .280 Remington on a Rem 700 action, for the purpose of hunting. That being said I am looking for opinions on hunting optics. I would like to be able to shoot out to 600-800 yds consistently, but realistically outside of the occasional trip out west, my max range will most likely be in the 300-400 yd range.

So what are y'all opinions on optics for that purpose in the $600-$700 range?

Last edited:
Look into a used leupold LPS line. These are discontiued but are a huge step up from the VXIII optics. I have one in a 2.5-10x45 with 30mm tube, they also come in a 3.5-14x50 I think. They don't have target turrets but have adjustment knobs that can be re zereod after sighting in. Also they have 24 moa of adjustment in one revolution. I believe the 2.5 to be the ideal scope for a all around rifle. When set on 10 power, sighted 2" high at 100 the top of the post of the duplex is my 400 yard hold with a 180 part @3100. Also 24 moa will get me out as far as I need with this rifle (700) in less than one revolution with out a 20 moa base.
Ten power I believe is plenty out to 700 on big game, even for coyotes.

I got mine used but in like new condition for $600 off of ebay

a member here is selling a NIB Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 for 650. That would be perfect. You can send it to Zeiss and they will put MOA target knobs on for you for around 50 bucks.

I'm also about to build a 280 or possible a 7WSM. I have a Shilen blank in the safe. I'm just trying to decide what action I want.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.