Opening up a bolt face?

G

I'd be interested in hearing the more experienced folks opinions of opening up a bolt face on a Savage action to accept the .338 Lapua/.416 Rigby cartridge head. Is this action/lugs, etc. gonna be capable of taking the pressure? What about the flex/stretch possibilities with the brass??

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sharpsman,

I think the biggest issue might be how to get an extractor to work in one. The removable bolt head precludes the possibility of a sako extractor and I believe that opening to the super mag boltface would crowd the plunger for the factory extractor. It may be doable but it will be thin for sure.

Sharpsman, Shawn,

Sierra uses the Savage action to test the 338 Lapua etc sized cartridges, might be worth a call to them and see what it took... it looks doable though.

New Savage rifles chambered for the Ultra Mag or WSM line now also have a larger barrel tennon diameter (1-1/8").

Shouldn't be a problem using the Savage action, it's plenty strong as is the Rem 700.

Shawn

From research...I've found the Savage bolt body is 0.002" smaller in diameter than the Rem 700 bolt body but the recoil lugs are larger read "longer" than that of the 700! And one feature that I do like about the Savage bolt is that upon examination the Savage bolt is designed with what looks to be two sets of "lugs", the rear set which (supposedly) act as baffles to vent gas from escaping rearward in event of a ruptured case/blown primer!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts