The A-Bolt Is Done

Nicely done! Nothing I cannot like about it. I am going to have to do a lot more shooting with one of my Sako's so I can justify a project like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Long

Very nice! I have a question about the bedding. In one picture you can see the pillar and just a little glass bedding around the lug well. In another, where it appears to be full-length bedded you can no longer see the pillars. Did you simply cover them when you added the bedding compound for the full length bedding? What did you use to form the glass bedding in the barrel channel that still allows the barrel to free-float? Nice bedding jobs intrigue me and this is one of the nicest I have seen.

Clay

This thread has more details on the bedding job: http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=98357&an=0&page=1#98357

But the short answers are, the second time I skimmed over the pillar...it's less than the thickness of a sheet of paper, it didn't change things as much as it looks like. For the barrel channel I used plummer's tape, 20 mil stuff from Home Depot and 10 mil stuff from Brownell's. It helps get exactly the amount of freefloat you want the whole length, and makes for a nice looking finished job.

I had really expected to have had the chance to stretch its legs a lot more by now, but such is life. Oh well. The brief time I've had weren't under the best conditions--hot, lots of mirage and a nasty switching wind. Anyway, it's showing plenty of potential so far once I get some more trigger time:

A quick 400 yd zero check:

400yd.jpg

Crank up the ol' BDC and let 'er rip! Unfortunately the winds had me stymied pretty well--they weren't that strong but kept switching back and forth quicker than I would notice/recorrect my corrections.... Made for groups like this:

1000yd.jpg

That was from 1000 yds. At least my vertical is under control. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

While a bit misplaced, this was my best for group size I'd say:

1100yd.jpg

13" from 1100 yds. I'll take that for now I guess. With more trigger time and some better conditions I know the rifle has the potential to get it done way out there. Hopefully I'll have some more results before too long. Some higher BC bullets on the way will sure help with the wind too (all those were with the 240 SMK).

Oh, and all this was from my "solid as a rock, ultra steady portable benchrest:"

Bench.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm currently using a PRI rail.

For a steel Picatinny now, I'd probably go with NEAR . For aluminum, US Optics .

If Picatinny isn't a requirement, the Ken Farrell stuff is nice.

All but the first will do custom work as well if you don't find exactly what he's looking for.

One thing to note, it seems the US Optics slots may be too narrow for Seekins rings, which I think I'm going to switch to fairly soon. I've found with this scope I'd like a base extended a bit farther forward so I might be totally changing the setup soon.

[ QUOTE ]
Will be waiting for the "After I walked for 2 hours to get to the animal I just shot" stories. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I hate to disappoint you, but it didn't quite take two hours.
PICT0049.jpg

I sort of like this one:

PICT0062.jpg

And finally one with my ugly mug included:

PICT0055.jpg

Unfortunately, he did suffer some post-shot horn shrinkage that whitetails often do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif When I decided to drop the hammer the sun was glinting off his horns making him very hard to turn down. But I knew that would happen to some extent and had gotten in so much great hunting I was happy to finally tag a fairly respectable buck. I knew I was pushing my luck passing on as many as I already had.

Anyway, he was 473 yds away. Not "long range" to me these days but longer than I had shot one lately. As usual, I had my crosshairs on bucks from about 15 yds to 750 yds away and everywhere in between. Had the timing/conditions/horn size combination been right I would have dropped the hammer on any of them.

But this is the first year I would have been as confident at the long end as I was. That's where the project really pays off. To be able to show up in a different state, different temp, different humidity and 4000 ft elevation difference and simply plop onto my belly and start whacking the gong from 900 yds after cranking the scope for a quick zero check...that was great. I've never been more confident in myself or a rifle.

Thanks again to Kirby for building such a fine rifle.

Very nice buck and beautiful rifle....

Its all worth it when you have almost total confidence in you and you system. That part was good to hear.

So far all I've killed is a bunch of your targets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jon A ,

I just bought a 7mm wsm browing for a good price ,they sure have a sweet action.Might have it tricked out someday.
That's a fine deer and you're a good shot w/a camera also ! Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.