Open sights on a long range rifle?

B-LOT Banga

As we all know anything can happen in the field. I dropped my son off to go hunting and I arranged to pick him up when he was done. So I just get home and he calls to pick him up because he fell on his rifle and damaged the scope, a Vortex viper PST GEN2. He explained that he was fine and already waiting for me. So when I got there I was surprised to see that the lens was cracked even though it had butler creek caps and a vortex neoprene cover. Which got me thinking that we spend thousands of dollars on our gear, thousands of dollars on lifetime hunts and even though we usually have a spare rifle it's not usually on hand. What if this was on a 7 day trip? Or a days walk in the mountains? Would open sights atleast give you a second chance at still hunting? I know you would have to get closer but it's better than walking out. Maybe a second scope with rings already setup to just swap it out? I'm just glad my son is ok and I know Vortex will take care of it and send me a new one so no worries there. Anyone ever been in a situation like this?

Glad to hear your son is fine. Big trips I bring a second rifle if I don't have a buddy coming that has a squared away rifle I can use, or he can use mine. Bringing a second optic may be worth thinking about but that then turns into what if you fall and crack the stock or drop the rifle muzzle first and mess up the crown. A big hunt like a 7 day hunt or once in a lifetime I'd have two guns that are good to go and accessible, at least at camp so you may only lose a day if something happens. Also from personal experience Vortex will take care of you without any hassle

As we all know anything can happen in the field. I dropped my son off to go hunting and I arranged to pick him up when he was done. So I just get home and he calls to pick him up because he fell on his rifle and damaged the scope, a Vortex viper PST GEN2. He explained that he was fine and already waiting for me. So when I got there I was surprised to see that the lens was cracked even though it had butler creek caps and a vortex neoprene cover. Which got me thinking that we spend thousands of dollars on our gear, thousands of dollars on lifetime hunts and even though we usually have a spare rifle it's not usually on hand. What if this was on a 7 day trip? Or a days walk in the mountains? Would open sights atleast give you a second chance at still hunting? I know you would have to get closer but it's better than walking out. Maybe a second scope with rings already setup to just swap it out? I'm just glad my son is ok and I know Vortex will take care of it and send me a new one so no worries there. Anyone ever been in a situation like this?

Not really "long range" as most of the members here think of .....as my maximum is 600, under near perfect conditions! But yes, I do have irons on my rifle. However, I would also need my back-up scope ( QR base/rings and already zero'd) to fail also. So.....my iron's are 3rd in line! memtb

I am glad your son is OK. 7-day hunt or not, I always bring a back-up rifle and so as my hunting buddy. In addition, where we hunt, we are only a couple of hours away max. With these old eyes, I might be good for 100 yards maybe 125 but that's it. Most rifles today no longer come with iron sights and those that comes with it, are often removed for the scope. My AR is the only rifle I have with scope and useable back-up iron sights.

A long-range open sight is a no go for me. This is one of my all-time favorite video ...

... and this one is just NUTS ...

Last edited:
I always take a second rifle with me on my multi day hunts. I keep it in the truck locked in a pelican and lock the pelican in. Keep it under the back seat. Rifle, scope and ammo. On a day trip I don't because if something happens it's gunna ruin the hunt anyways. Glad your son is good to go. Btw I don't have irons in but it's a good idea because if your 3 miles deep and crack your scope just pull it and that way you at least have a chance. You could very easily get proficient out to further then most guys can shoot there scoped rifle accurately.

Good thing is your son is ok.

A back up rifle is always a must, at least I always have one. On our last spring Javelina hunt my brother's ruger rifle malfunctioned, firing pin broke and he did not bring his other rifle, but I had both if my 7mm-08's, problem solved.

Its not my dedicated LR rifle but with my main deer rifle which is a Browning BLR 300wsm I have set it up with Leupold QRW rings for the scope which is just 1-8x24(most of my shots are inside 200mtrs).
I can remove the scope & rings & just use the existing open sights of something happens the scope.

Thank for your input brothers and thank you for your kind words about my son. The only bolt action I have with iron sights is my wife's Remington 700 ADL in .243 win and a Leupold VX-2 3-9x With the cheap blue box federal 100 grain soft points that I can put 3 shots in a 1" black sticker at 200 yds with a bull bag shooting prone. Having a rifle basixs trigger set at 1# helps a lot. I wish my 28 nosler could shoot like that!!

How many Buffalo Rifle shooters us scopes? Not many and most are less than 8X. Most use a Soule type open sights and still hit that old steel Buff at over 1200 yards. Now granted for long range hunting having a nice piece of high powered (and dollar) glass makes seeing things a lot easier. IMHO what makes a good sharpshooter is not the sights, but practice.

Not trying to start a scope debate or questioning the vortex pst as I have one myself and have it on a hunting rifle That being said it definitely doesn't seem to be made as durable as my nightforces and wonder if they would have suffered the same fate.
iron sight idea is interesting for sure just curious about the set up would u have them already mounted under the scope flipped down somehow. I use a rail on all my rifles and notreal sure how to accomplish both scope mounted low and iron sights.
Glad your son is ok and nothing more than a lost hunt.

Last edited:
I take a backup gun to base camp. As far as irons, I'd rather just hunt with my sidearm at that point.

I use back up irons. I'm flying across the country and hunting remotely. My next rifle will have NECG peep sights. They look good and add some backup ability. I could bring another rifle, very difficult due to the whole airport thing. I could bring a backup scope, but optics are good money and take up extra room.....or I can carry a rear peep to put on in a pinch!?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.