Long Range Rifle Shooting on a budget ...

Next budget scope will have this reticle in it. Its MOA and the hash marks hold true @ 28X. Click the picture one time to see it bigger.

TP_7-30X_SFP_MOA_CLEAN_1400x.jpg
Good looking reticle, what optic?

What do you guys think of a chassis rifle like the Gen1 Ruger Precision Rifle as a person's 1st choice in a long range target rifle?
If you shop around they can be had at a hair under $1k.
Granted there a cheaper rifles nut after you start adding upgrades like new stocks you get close to $1k pretty quickly.

What do you guys think of a chassis rifle like the Gen1 Ruger Precision Rifle as a person's 1st choice in a long range target rifle?
If you shop around they can be had at a hair under $1k.
Granted there a cheaper rifles nut after you start adding upgrades like new stocks you get close to $1k pretty quickly.
It's a good rifle. Not one I'd want to carry around hunting for any length of time. Good range rifle. I am partial to the Savages with the newer (2018+) Accustocks, which you can adjust cheek weld and LOP, plus it's aluminum bedded, and substantial, but not overly heavy. The Predator and Tactical 110's are great.

As mentioned 1000x, I vote put more into the optic than rifle to start with, as long as the rifle line is known to have a good rep for sub-MOA accuracy. I would rather have so-so glass with perfecting turret tracking than the opposite *on a long range precision rifle*. Not necessarily on a point blank zero, set it and forget it, under 300 yd rifle.

in my very novice world and experience...
I am doing this on school teacher(me) and LPN Nurse (wife) and a small child. so I think i would be in the world of budget build.
I first bought a rifle at a pawn shop, I and my father loves browsing threw them looking for a diamond in the ruff so to speak. my rifle is a 300 weatherby Mark V delux (wood stock) cost was $875 with Leupold Rings/Mounts. I have since set to a gun smith for a muzzle break, new trigger, and cerakote ($400) I have then purchased a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56mm with 30mm tube (75moa adjustment, which should give me aprox 35-32 up adjustment). scope cost $1300 after taxes
so atm I have

Phase 1 (doing Now)
Gun: $875
Gunsmith work: $400
Scope: $1300
Running Total 1: $2575 atm invested

Phase 2 work: (doing this summer)
Aluminum Pillar/glass bed action:$250-300(guessing) I know the pillars will be 150 installed.
Running Total 2:$2825-$2875

Phase 3 (by next year this time or summer)
Hart Barrel: $510(for the one i want)
GunSmith work to barrel: $150
True Up action: ? not 100% sure atm of cost
Running Total 3: $3435-$3485

this will put me at $3435-$3485 investment and doesn't include
-Action Turing
-bi-pod
-stock work that i will be doing myself (striping, Refinishing)

None of this is what I would Call High End, and I figure I will be easy over $4k but this is how I am doing it to space out cost so its not all up front. As soon as i get it back and scope on it I will post some pics LOL, so i will have some before and after shots of the stock.

SO IMO this is a budget of getting into this sport/hobby, now with all this being said, I will mostly be hunting with this rig and doing some LR comps that are locally, just some ole pumpkin pullers.

I am doing this on school teacher(me) and LPN Nurse (wife) and a small child. so I think i would be in the world of budget build.
I first bought a rifle at a pawn shop, I and my father loves browsing threw them looking for a diamond in the ruff so to speak. my rifle is a 300 weatherby Mark V delux (wood stock) cost was $875 with Leupold Rings/Mounts. I have since set to a gun smith for a muzzle break, new trigger, and cerakote ($400) I have then purchased a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56mm with 30mm tube (75moa adjustment, which should give me aprox 35-32 up adjustment). scope cost $1300 after taxes
so atm I have

Phase 1 (doing Now)

Aluminum Pillar/glass bed action:$250-300(guessing) I know the pillars will be 150 installed.

-Action Turing
-bi-pod

None of this is what I would Call High End, and I figure I will be easy over $4k but this is how I am doing it to space out cost so its not all up front. As soon as i get it back and scope on it I will post some pics LOL, so i will have some before and after shots of the stock.

SO IMO this is a budget of getting into this sport/hobby, now with all this being said, I will mostly be hunting with this rig and doing some LR comps that are locally, just some ole pumpkin pullers.
Not trying to be a SA or disrespectful to any measurable degree when I say if I were in your situation which I am more or less and I had a rifle and optics budget $4-$4.5k may I ask why you didn't consider one of the many fine used custom or semi-custom rifles rifles offered for sale here?
I have more than once passed on some great deals (dies, brass, bullets and load data included no less) on equally great semi-custom rifles for sale here in common OTS calibers hat would keep a persons ammunition costs be they factory or reloads to a mimimum.

I would never begrudge or critisize how any man chooses to spend their hard earned cash, but just wondering if my thought process is in need of enlightenment

Last edited:
so atm I have

Phase 1 (doing Now)

-Action Turing
-bi-pod

One can get into this sport WAY cheaper than that. There are plenty of new factory rifles (Savage, Ruger, Tika) that are under $800 and will allow folks to shoot out past 1000 without a custom barrel. And although I am a fan of not cheaping out on glass, there are lots of good scopes in the $600-1000 range, like the Vortex PST line, that will track well and get someone in the game.

Not trying to be a SA or disrespectful to any measurable degree when I say if I were in your situation which I am more or less and I had a rifle and optics budget $4-$4.5k may I ask why you didn't consider one of the many fine used custom or semi-custom rifles rifles offered for sale here?
I have more than once passed on some great deals (dies, brass, bullets and load data included no less) on equally great semi-custom rifles for sale here in common OTS calibers hat would keep a persons ammunition costs be they factory or reloads to a mimimum.

I would never begrudge or critisize how any man chooses to spend their hard earned cash, but just wondering if my thought process is in need of enlightenment

I am a lefty....I wanted a left handed bolt, and just so happen found that one and by doing it this way i do not have to drop 4k+ at once, it can be spaced out over say 12-18 months. I also will be keeping the rifle in a 300 roy to keep the weatherby round with the action, i at times am a traditionalist, lol, and I can find the ammunition very easy here in north west LA, east central Miss areas if i had to, i will be shooting Hammer Copper bullets and reloading my ammunition. The main reason i will be getting a custom barrel is the twist, my rifle is a 1:10 and I want a 1:9 for the long for cal bullets I plan on shooting.
If I had the cash to spend in hand, and found a LH bolt rifle in the caliber I wanted, then yes, i would be all in, thought I had once but was not the cal i wanted and thinking it was like $4k for rifle only and no optics, I also would have bought a scope from the classified but I had already purchased mine when one similar popped up for $900-$950. I have told my father about several on here that he would be interested in, he is a righty, and my son(2.5yrs old, LOL never to early) i will probably by one of the used semi or fully custom when that time comes because i believe he will be a righty, the first deer i ever harvested was with an old remington m700 in a 25-06, this will be my sons first rifle but as he grows i expect i will be purchasing one of the semi/full custom rigs.

And I for one believe there are many ways to skin a cat...and yes I want ppl to question me in the appropriate way(which you did very much so, ty) this way ppl may ask the questions i haven't even thought of or the questions i didn't want to ask because the "i want and don't want to see the negative of my decision" lol

Last edited:
One can get into this sport WAY cheaper than that. There are plenty of new factory rifles (Savage, Ruger, Tika) that are under $800 and will allow folks to shoot out past 1000 without a custom barrel. And although I am a fan of not cheaping out on glass, there are lots of good scopes in the $600-1000 range, like the Vortex PST line, that will track well and get someone in the game.

I agree that the optics is not where you want to cut corners, I also agree, you can get in this for much less but for what I was looking to build this is where I am at, and I am a fan of rems or sako(one of my favs) but I am living out kinda a long held fantasy/dream of mine and just so happen it was a weatherby mark v that i found and I am a huge fan of the 300 roy. I also believe that if you don't build what you want then you will spend a lot more money in the longer run and still may not have what you want if you had just spent a lil more(if you can) and got what you wanted and this is what i have done in my mind.....now i understand its a long dark rabbit hole with frustration and joy..but its part of the sport/hobby that i enjoy.

reasons i picked up the rifle is due to the fact that its what I found and its a left handed rifle and its a round that I like and will hunt/shoot with through out the process

reason for the scope is because i have always shot leupolds and they have always performed well, now i have always shot a vx3 3.5-1x50 or 4.5-14x50, so i am in my mind steeping up a lil from that.

I bought a Remington 308 and put a Tasco Super Sniper on it. That was a start. Then I sold two rifles and took some cash and bought a Nightforce. No going back now. I spend double the amount for a rifle for Good Glass!!

I have a fair chunk of change into my F Class rig,,, it will see another up-grade in a few years when my shooting hobbies change.

My frugal SPS will get a new after market stock and a trigger swap from one rifle to this unit,,, I have the options of choosing 1 of the many optics since I own a draw full of them,,, most likely a 3x9 since they allow me to shoot further than my needs.

I could buy a all in pricey rifle if I wanted to,,, but I'd rather build what I need & want at a frugal price.

This works for me since my good friend builds what I need at a fair cost,,, if this wasn't the case,,, then I'd go the other route.

My Remmy LR came in at $900 all in 5 years ago,,, its seen a few up grades that put it closer to the $1600,,, it will need a new pipe next year since I like to shoot alot,,, there's no costs to good times in my books.

I don't drink or puff,,, so those lost funds go towards a hobby and sport that I benefit from.

The healthy part of life that keeps me active,,, the mental part of critter acquisition,,, the skills to pull it off,,, and a freezer full of food to share with others as we all reap the rewards.

Paid in full / no changes applied. LOL

What's in your wallet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts