open country deer cartridge

chad

6.5x284 270 wsm 7mmwsm?

I was at our hunting expo yesterday and found the custom gun I am going to get.
the three cartridges listed are what I am kicking around.
I hunt where 100 yard shots are possible but 6 to 7 hundred yard shots are common.
I was thinking of the 257 weatherby or the 270 weatherby but there not offered.
I have been told the 6.5x284 would be great but its just not that fast. My 280 I have now is shooting 140 accubonds at 3095 fps now but its hot. reloader 19 is the only powder it likes and its cracking the cases after the third reload.

280 AI maybe????

New to all this long range shooting, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. My choice would be the 7mm. I've always been a 30 caliber fan, but have to admit that they make some good 28 caliber bullets that appear to perform very well. So I'd probably go with the 7mmwsm. Good luck

lots of views and only two comments. Ok so if your hunting mule deer in open country what cal would you choose?

The 6.5 x284 would be hard to beat. I personally am not crazy about it but that would be a hard one to beat for your situation and for the cartridges you have listed. Of the cartridges listed id go with the 6.5x284

The 6.5x284 would be nice, it's nice to shoot and a 140 Berger makes nice work of deer, I've taken many deer and elk with a 270 WSM in those ranges and much farther and it will easily out perform the 6.5 but your really not needing much more, same for the 7mm.

I have no qualms about any of the calibers listed. I am curious why in a custom rifle the .257 and .270 Weatherby are not an option. I've had to buy a reamer for a wildcat, so certainly reamers can be had, it's a bit more expense but not a deal breaker in my mind.

My vote would be the 270wsm. With that being said I have heard more good out of the other two rounds. I have also heard 270 is not big enough for white tail so....Out of what you have listed, the 6.5x284 and the 7wsm have accomplished more in the long range game. The bullet options are better hands down. .277 is trying to catch up and doing so successfully. So it is a coin toss if you are not already partial. They will all have to be accurately placed to bring down the meat.

On a different note, if I was building a custom and had the "options" of these three only, I would most definitely find someone who would give me what I wanted. Unless they had a dang good reason why they couldn't.

I would do a 270 weatherby with no problems. there is so many cartidges to pick from . I would like something different. 7LRM, 7 Dakota, 6.5-06 AI, I like the 6.5 bullets and 7mm bullets best.

I just don't know what to build.
Maybe just take my 280 and make a Ackley out of it.

On my first build I was strictly going 270 win. I wanted to see what someone who wants to push it to the limits could do with the old 270 win. Then it was Ackley improved, then Sherman. I done some thinking on it because it bothered me I left my original goal. But I am going Sherman for sure because its still a 270 win case. Its a little way of me cheating.:D. Long story short if you want to do some but feel like you may be wasting a build on it, don't worry about. Build what you want, expensive as they may be, you can always build another one. I'm sure you will. Its addictive, I barely started on mine and I'm already thinking about my next three.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.