5 Tips For Success In High Country Mule Deer Hunting

ADMIN

Administrator
Mule deer hunting to me is more than just a passion; it'd be better defined as an obsession. Many whitetail hunters believe mule deer are not as smart as whitetail. I can understand this if your goal is a three point, or maybe even a small four point. However, there is a reason that 80 percent of mule deer bucks that reach the age of five years old will die of old age. Simply put, they inhabit some country that most don't dare approach. If you are up for the challenge, I've developed five key components that will set you up for a shot at success in the high country come fall, when most of the magnificent animals go back to being the "grey ghost" that they are commonly referred to by hunters.

Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, 5 Tips For Success In High Country Mule Deer Hunting , By Jason Verbeck. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

High mountain's and Big Mulies is what I dream about to.

Going on my first scouting trip July 30th - August 1th hoping to find some bucks.

Jason,
Very nice article, really enjoyed it.
Good tips, true tips!!!
I would also say that the best thing that has worked for me for high country deer hunting is being fit!!!. I train all year long to be able to backpack in and out, and that gives me the capability to hunt hard the days I stay out.
Thanks for sharing your tips.

Excellent article. I looked up Crossfit and researched them a bit. Ended up joining. I've done a few workouts and wow I can tell this is going to get me in shape. Downside is there isn't a local chapter but most of the excercises can be done in your garage with minimal equipment. Thanks!

Jason,
Very nice article, really enjoyed it.
Good tips, true tips!!!
I would also say that the best thing that has worked for me for high country deer hunting is being fit!!!. I train all year long to be able to backpack in and out, and that gives me the capability to hunt hard the days I stay out.
Thanks for sharing your tips.

Thank you so much for your post.

I think everyone dreams of that 30" or larger rack but i just havent got it yet 26" is the best ive come up with and it was using these 5 steps but they were in the eastmans h j 5 years ago and it will be the same 5 steps in 5 more years what i need is more time to go scout and more money to go scout or get paid to do it.gun)

6. Hunt looking west in the morning and east in the afternoon! Sit on ya *** with a good pair of binocs, glass a lot, and have a good shooting rifle!lightbulb:D

It's worked for 50 years for me!:)

Good advice, Jason. The only thing I may add to your excellent article is to take good care of your wheels. Don`t ever be Scotch when buying boots, and never head into the back country without properly breaking in a new pair. I always kept at least one pair of dry, good wicking socks in the daypack. Barking dogs will ruin an otherwise good experience in pursuit of your favorite quarry.

Griz

Being in shape changes the way you hunt and vastly increases success.

The best way I've found to stay in shape for hunting and backpacking is the Forest Service Pack Test. You carry a 45 lb. pack 3 miles in 45 minutes. It is tough enough that some folks have died trying. It isn't something to start if you're not already in fairly good shape. For years I ran 3 miles each morning and rode my bicycle to work (20 mile round trip) and still suffered the first few days of a hunt. My joints started to hurt with the running, so when the Forest Service came out with the pack test, I decided to try it. The first time I tried it without a pack, and I couldn't walk 4 mph. With my short legs I couldn't get a long enough stride. I finally learned to take short steps, very quickly. As I got older (I'm 57) I found my hips didn't like that stride, so I quit racing and just walk with a 45 lb. pack. A comfortable pace for me is about 2.7 mph. Two years ago we hunted Colorado and backpacked in to hunt. We were climbing 2000 feet every day. Carrying a pack is the best practice for climbing when you don't have hills nearby. This year on an early elk hunt two of us knocked two bulls down 3 miles from the truck in 75 degree weather. Boned out, we made it in three trips, and still felt good.

One last trick. Endurox. It is a magic potion that guarantees a 10% increase in endurance. It takes away the muscle pain and helps build new muscle. I take some with me and drink it like Kool Aid at lunch and again at the end of the day. It works!

I liked the article. Hunting high country mulies is a passion of mine as well. A few things I have learned...

Buy really good glass, the ability to spot bucks hanging out in the shadows is greatly increased with nice binoculars.

Be patient, spend most of the morning and evening glassing, its boring but pays off. Change vantage points every hour our two, there are lots of draws bucks can use to stay out of sight.

If you can't spot bucks by the late morning try pushing them around by having a buddy hike through their feeding grounds, sometimes you can catch them on their escape routes this way. It seems mulie bucks feel pretty comfortable at about 300 yds and out, I have seen them bedded and stand up after the intruder puts some distance between them.

I find that the best way to get in shape for the high country is to spend July and August scouting and bear hunting, I have not found any exercises that come close enough to mimic the strain of having 60 lbs on my back for 5 miles our coming out with 120 lbs. The first hike of the season is brutal but by the third scouting/hiking trip my muscles fall right in line and I feel like I can go forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.