One lucky guy!!

I'm with Kirby, that video is awefully fishy. If that were me, it'd take me some time to get over that. I'm not running over to my buddy. I'm making sure I'm not messed up and then looking at my rifle.

Regarding tape over the muzzlebreak. I use little barrel covers, they look like balloons but are black, they roll over the muzzle much like a condom... they have worked great for me so far.

I'm with Kirby, that video is awefully fishy. If that were me, it'd take me some time to get over that. I'm not running over to my buddy. I'm making sure I'm not messed up and then looking at my rifle.

Regarding tape over the muzzlebreak. I use little barrel covers, they look like balloons but are black, they roll over the muzzle much like a condom... they have worked great for me so far.
I agree, somethings not quite right. That is a "check your shorts" moment.

I use finger cots over my muzzle and electrical tape to hold them in place.No muzzlebreaks though.

Do you know what these are called? I think that I saw an add for them in a magazine once but dont remeber what they are called.

Last edited:
I have seen things posted on line that looked so real that I would have never guessed they were fakes. There are some out there that can do things with computers that are hard to believe.

Just saying something does not seem right with how things go down. Also, at the shot, look at where the muzzle is pointing, clear up into the heavy timber it looks like........ Not saying a shot would not be possible but just does not look right to me.

Kirby, this is for real and not fake. It happens just like this. Seen the EXACT same thing happen to an Remmy 700 my dad shot. EXACT!

It was really loud when it went off and it knocked the synthetic foreend off the stock and the barrel looked just like it did on this video.

Fortunately none of us were injured and we still have that barreled action. To this day I don't know what he got in there to make this happen, but I have a suspicion it was snow or some ice.

Wow! I'm impressed. Another reason to wear rubber underpants when hunting. :confused: Thanks for posting.

Tikka had a problem with some of their barrels and they split apart just like this barrel did. The explanation that came out on that was that some of the barrels were not properly heat relieved of stresses at the factory. There was a recall. There were several barrels that ruptured to bring about the recall. I own two Tikka T3's and for awhile I found it awfully hard not to flinch after I saw some of the photos of the burst barrels. Tikka identified the rifles by Serial Number that had the bad barrels at the time of their recall. Like I was gonna believe Tikka after that screw-up.

Eventually my nerves settled down and I stopped flinching while shooting my Tikkas. No more bursting barrels that I've heard of.

Last edited:
I've electrical taped muzzle-braked rifles and non-muzzle-braked rifles. Works fine on both.

After watching this video, I think I'll go around a few extra times with some of that 100 mph tape. That and some J-B Weld too, just for good measure.

Now THAT'S why I put electrical tape over my muzzle!!! The exiting gases blow off the tape, and protects the bore from any unwanted debris. I put a length over it, then wrap a loop around the straight length. Works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.