ONE GUN

Just a quick note on the Girz thing...

true story..

A resident on Green Creek Rd. ( 5 miles from my place ) CJ knows where it is...
had a griz.. get in to his garage etc. etc.. this guy shoots this griz in the head 6 times with a 357 mag. bear runs off.. they trap the bear several miles from where this took place... this bear had the top of his head all torn up and bloody but it was healing.. after traquilizing the bear and inspection.. they noticed 6 creases or dents in its skull... this bear is still alive today ...living in some remote region of northern Montana..

ain't no 223 gonna save your *** from a bear unless you get lucky!!!
shocked.gif

My .300 Win Mag, it performed flawlessly on Mr. Grizz last fall, it has crushed caribou, and someday soon I hope it will get an elk. I shoot 200gr Nosler Partitions or Speer Grand Slams. As far a the .223 goes, the Natives up here use them for everything from big bears (polar) to caribou, they take head shots, and usually from close range. I will hopefully never be limited to just one, I would hate to give up my Marlin 45/70, or my 22-250.

Texas,
Thanks for inviting me into this line of thought, here goes. Fairly simple - one rifle for everything in N. America would logically be my custom-built controlled round feed M-70 in .338 BUT it kicks like hell and is way more overkill than underkill for most species we are likely to hunt. This rifle has put three shots into 0.25" at 100 yards, (I should have rushed out and bought a lottery ticket because I was having a lucky day). 210 Noslers have taken a bunch of big game for me over the years with several good shooting .338 rifles.

After considerable thought (slightly over five seconds ; as that is about how long I can stay focused these days) I would have to go with - regular LR Hunting members will find this no surprise - the mighty .308 Winchester. Put it into a ten-pound rifle, let's say on a Remington M-700, McMillan HTG stock, Badger trigger guard, recoil lug and mounts, 20" fluted Mike Rock 5R barrel, Nightforce 3.5-15 NXS or a Nikon Tactical 4-16, Harris swiveling bipod, Mike Miller sling. Sounds like a GA Precision ROCK, for those tactical-toy inclined folk.

With bonded bullets like the Scirocco or Interbond this cartridge will take on about anything walking in N. American, feed it some Matchkings, J4's or A-Max and we can plink steel way out there, and load 125 TnT's and you can launch varmints or pieces of varmints several feet in any direction.

I have shot big black bears with the .223 but only because they needed killing and were in a controlled situation. Not a good idea, although the little 55 FMJ did the job quickly when they went in thru the ear canal. Have also done that with Ruger 10-22 .22 LR, trick is to put two in the ear as fast as you can pull the trigger. Again, not recommended for free-roaming critters but works well for snared or trapped bears that need a one-way ticket to that big garbage dump in the sky.

Ian,

A M E N !!!

kinda what I was saying on my first post..

but I do like the 300WSM

Ian, sounds like you had that 308 in mind for sometime now
wink.gif
. Caught me off guard by saying a 20" barrel
shocked.gif
figured maybe a 22-24 at least.

Do you know anything about the Gibbs Quest line up? The detactable mag sounds like a good idea also suppose to be the fastest bolt action on the market.
This has probably been posted somewhere but any thoughts on using the 240SMK's in a 308 or something heavier than a 190?

Ric its nice to hear about someone making after being shot 6 times in the head(even if it was a bear), guess the guy has a new 44 mag
grin.gif

AB I would hate for you to have to leave the 45/70 also. They make great brush guns and in a pinch farther out. My info may be old but I thought the natives were using 30-30's. Knew about the head shots and sneaking up on polar bears.

WyoWisper,

I'm like you, no way I'd be comfortable with just a .223 on bruins! It's true though, the natives all around gun is the .223 because the ammo is cheap and it will kill the polar to the bou to anything else, beats getting within range to use a spear as they did in the old days I suppose, escpecially with polar bear.

A guy I know killed a grizz with his AR-15 after it was taking out his livestock, took more than a few rounds but he emptied the clip in him just to be sure. He did this from his barn roof with an NVD scope, kind of the safe way. The natives don't think you'd be doing anything special if you dropped a big bear though, after all they just do it all the time... not me though.

Hey Brent,

I thought it was unlawful to shoot a grizzly bear up ther, or is that just in Canada?

4mesh,

that's what the anti's would like you to think, that's for sure. There is regular season on grizz and brown both in most areas, tag is $25 for residents, there is a few places that they are protected.

Polar bear is off limits unless you are native. "Hunting" any bear with a 223 borders on death wish in my book.

Ian, you're not alone, a guy I know hunts brown... yep the big coastal bears with a 308win and 150gr Barnes X bullets every year. He's shot some giants too, last years was a 10+ footer. He's married to a native gal and gets to hunt some very prime areas near her village. They even go down on the Aleutian chain and hunt a native owned island that has wild horses and cows on it, yep they hunt them both LR too, just to keep the population down or they will starve themselves to death.

I guess I got to get into this fray, What about the 708, 100 grainers for vermin, 175 for Mr. Griz, I just can't see using a magnum on Pdogs. I figured if your going to use 'one gun' it should be something in the middle, thats the 708.
wink.gif
Jay
texas, BYW, Rem. S/S w/HS Precision sporter stock, factory trigger adg. to 1.9lbs. Leupold 3.5-10 adg. obj.

[ 04-15-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.