ONE GUN

I will revise my Idea now that I know this encompases N.A.

S1 is right on except.. lets be realistic, if this is one gun scenerio you need reliability ....

A semi- auto takes the risk of to many moving parts and to much to go wrong... especially in heavy cover way out in the middle of know where...
I think you want to employ the K.I.S.S. method..

If you need extra ammo. Work the rifle to have a detatchable mag.

But I agree with Caliber and bullet choices.

I might reconsider the twist to be a 10 twist.. However, you may over rotate the light bullets...( POOF )
shocked.gif

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

Wyo,

The 110 Vmax goes poof in an 11 twist just above 3,800 fps. The 125 Nosler will go over 4,000 in an 11 twist, no worries!

My choice will probably be a lot different from most here.

I'd probably opt for a fast, flat shooting 22 centerfire. Such as a 22-250 or maybe a 223 WSSM.

Great accuracy, plenty of good bullet selections, and not as rough on meat and fur.

Being limited to only one rifle, puts my mind in a self sufficient survival mode. ( IE. I screwed up and did something really stupid and was faced with either disappearing, or spending the rest of my life in a cage ) I would be limited to only what I could carry. Luxuries are out, a single rifle would have to provide both food and fur. Big holes make for cold blankets.

Tim,

I see your thinking .. but ... I have been around and charged by 'Ole Griz, never crossed my mind to shoot him in the ear...
shocked.gif

kinda what you'd have to do with a .22 cal
wink.gif

It depends if it was just for this continent it's the .338 Win Mag but if Africa was included I'll take a Ruger M-77 safari rifle in .375 H&H Magnum.

But like kk said you can't have one rifle to cover it all man a .338 or .375 on p-dogs would be hell but I ain't taking my .22-250 grizzly bear hunting.
tongue.gif

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: Kyle ]

TEXAS-in answer to your question on AAXMP5744.THIS is alow bulk density powder that is designed to shoot reduced loads.EXAMPLE 300ULTRAMAG 125NBT-45gr@2660fps@28000psi-topload 67grains@62000psi&3600fps.This powder can be used in 22hornet to 50/140-3.25"SHARPS.NOT a speed demon but looks useful.I have not tried it yet. ALSO TEXAS-YES I HAVE A 2YEAR OLD.

S1 you bring up a very good point about magazine capacity, hadn't thought about that.

Tim another good point about survival quick to point and shoot.

Thinking about these extra point makes me wish for a gun along the lines of a Gibbs QuestII but, would have it rechambered so say a 358 win or 350 rem mag if it was possible.

Flick wasn't doubting that you have a 2 y.o. its that I haven't seen too many of them shoot a rifle
grin.gif
. Better to buy it now before the laws change.

HEY TEXAS-SORRY FOR THE POST THAT MISINTERPED YOUR MEANING. I KNOW THIS IS OFF TOPIC BUT IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH MY FATHER HAS TERMINAL CANCER VERY SHORT TIME TO GO. I GET EDGY. SORRY ,FOR AWHILE I WILL JUST READ AND NOT POST I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.PS- MY DAD FOUGHT WITH THE MARINES AT OKINAWA,SIAPAN,AND MANY OTHER CAMPAIGNS. SHOT 13 TIMES,WAS WITH THE FIRST TROOPS IN NAGASKI AFTER THE BIG BOMB.LATER

To use the criteria that Tim put forth, 'ie. if I screwed up' kind of a survivalist type of deal. I would go with the .308 winchester or the 7.62x39 ie the old soviet bloc round. I would chamber it in an AK frame or for the .308 an HK frame. Never have to worry about ammo availability or parts for the rifle and they hardly ever stop running. Might not be a long range weapon, but it is one I would stake my life on.

We all stake our way of life on the Eugene Stoner design. It works in arctic, desert, and jungle terrain: If it does not, we are all in a lot of trouble. Just want mine in a 300 WSM! "Urban warfare" you say, 125 Nosler and Benchmark, NO FLASH!
grin.gif

223 Rem. Can carry twice as many rounds (use less powder) as those mag rounds and with a well placed shot there would be deer meat on the table!

Flick, I'm very sorry
frown.gif
to hear about your father. My bud at work just lost his mother Tuesday from cancer after he went to New York last week to see her. So yes I feel for you. Knowing first hand how that feels I lost my grandmother in a house fire shortly after I got out of the military as a firefighter, so I can feel for you and your family.

I know that shot placement is the key and guess that if you put enough bullets into a grizzly he should go down or go mad
wink.gif
So I guess the conccenus is that from a survilalist point of view a 223, realist 308 and life or limb 300 to 416?

How about it DC,Len,Chris,and Ian any thought from you all on this. Sorry Boyd didn't mean to leave you out either.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.