Your Number One Gun

Dobermann

Hi Guys/Girls

I have found that the best optics in most peoples view is Schmidt & Bender, is there an equivalent rifle even if it is customised that is a real solid all rounder? Does one name stand out from all others?

Regards

Dob

Dob,
You won't go far wrong with a Remington 700, probably the most used and customised rifle available.
There is a vast amount of parts, knowledge and highly skilled craftsmen willing to improve your Remmy, there are also a lot of bodgers and charlatans ready to rip you off.
Stick with the advice given on this forum and we will keep you on the right track.

Ian.

PS. dont overlook Leupold scopes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you could go with one of the $1000 custom actions and build from there....

basically... any custom rifle will do the S&B justice. Make suer you have a good smith build it....

as far as a factory production rifle.... don't waste your money get an action contact a good smith and go from there...

Dob,

Depending where you are, Europe I would have a look at RPA, SWS 2000 and Pete Lincoln`s site (speak to him about sws 2000).

In USA; GA Precision, HD Rifles, Nesika.

Hard to make a bad choice from them.

David.

Hi Guys,

Have been talking to Pete and will probably go for a custom .260. The main reason being the Irish law is looking like limiting calibre to .270 for stalking and up to 308 for target. If this turns out to be true I want a gun that mainly shoots target but could also be used to stalk!
I have no idea about barrels, stock, etc etc but Pete is looking into it for me. I must say he has been very straight and knowledgeable and I am looking forward to the resulting gun.

Wish me luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dob

If I where you I would get the Barnard action. Have it set up for a switch barrel and never look back. (you'll never have to).The repeater model is the SM I believe. You will be way ahead of the crowd with that action. I think they are made in New Zealand. Go with the Border barrels. If I was to pick the chambering it would be the 6.5X57mm. RWS brass, chamber cut with a custom ground reamer. In fact it sounds so good I think I'll do one for myself. I can not think of a better place to screw that new S&B 5X25 PMII on to!

Doberman.

One of the engineers for barnard used to visit here at LRH (5 posts). He went by the name of "jerm". Search in the user list above for him to get his Email address if you want to ask questions about the Barnard actions. I am sort of working on a stock idea with him and emailed him about a month ago so the email addy should still be good.

MT Guns I don't know of any EU web-sites for this action, however you can e-mail these folks for information. E-mail link is on there web site. I'm sure they will have info for who in the EU sells these actions. As you are probably aware Border barrels are form Scotland. All of the components I have listed should be fairly simple for you or Pete to get your hands on in the EU. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Border-barrels Hope this helps! Do to the recent reported blow-ups of the RPA actions I would stay away from them.

Read a report on the NRA UK web page on RPA actions.

I sort of have an interest as I have one. Now not worried.

"Recent incidents involving RPA/Paramount Rifles
Two recent incidents involving RPA and Paramount rifles have occurred in Australia. The investigations concerning the Scoones/Paramount incident have not been completed and we will update you when further information is available.
However the NRA of Australia has issued the following notices concerning these incidents and we recommend that anyone who has the following rifles should have them checked for safe operation.

Important Notice 1 (18/03/05)
Whilst the final cause of the Scoones/Paramount accident at Bendigo March 05 is yet to be determined, photographs clearly show the bolt in the cocked position with the firing pin protuding. The durallium firing pin in the bolt utilises a steel tip and the assumption is either the tip broke loose and lodged in the bolt head or the firing pin sheared at the rear of the assembly.

# Paramount actions sold mid 1990 and utilising the optional durallium firing pin with steel tip and likely to be found in actions with the serial numbers 2100 to 2102 (LH), 2085 to 2092, 2113 to 2117 and 2241 to 2250. We recommend all owners of Paramount actions have their firing pin assemblies checked for safe operation.

# RPA CG 2000 actions sold in mid 1996 and utilising the optional two piece firing pin system and likely to be found in actions with the serial numbers 62317 to 62320 & 62357.

Important Notice 2 (21/03/05)
In regard to our Notice below, it has been bought to our attention that the optional durallium firing pin with steel tip was retrofitted by some owners of Swing rifles. Therefore, we are recommending all owners of Swing and Paramount actions have their firing pin assemblies checked for safe operation.

Please contact RPA or your RPA agent or armourer in order to get your rifles checked for safe operation as soon as possible.

Important Notice 3 (29/03/05)
The report(s) of the Seaman/RPA accidental discharge at Cessnock March 05 reveal that the cocking pin slipped the camm track whilst the bolt handle was being hit to extract a jammed live round. This is not an isolated incident and therefore, we are advising all owners of RPA CG2000 and 2000 rifles to have their bolts checked for safe operation.

# RPA CG 2000 actions sold in mid 1995 to 1997 and likely to be found in actions with the serial numbers 62317 to 62320, 62356 to 62357, 62373 to 62374, 62494 to 62497, 62531 to 62572, 62575 to 62599, 62607 to 62619, and 72600 to 72604.

# RPA 2000 actions sold in 1995 to 1997 and likely to be found in actions with the serial numbers 42060, 52127 to 52135, 52163 to 52171, 62309 to 62316, 62400 to 62416, 62444 to 62456, 62460 to 62479, 62486, 62707 to 62786 and 62795 to 62810.

We advise that the cocking pin release pressure should be a minimum of 1.5kg, and we recommend three methods of testing viz;

1)Field test; applying moderate pressure with one thumb to the cocking pin should not result in the cocking pin being released.

2) Weight test; using a decocking spanner placed over the cocking piece of the bolt, place a 1.5kg weight on a decocking spanner 30mm from the outside diameter of the bolt tube. The cocking pin should hold the weight.

3) Strain gauge test; using a decocking spanner placed over the cocking piece of the bolt, place a strain gauge on a decocking spanner 30mm from the outside diameter of the bolt tube. Measure the final pressure before cocking pin releases."

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.