on the 308 bandwagon with 215 advise

I think you right about 47-48gr even though cases measured ok primers are flatter on 47,47.5,48. 48 jumped up quit abit higher than the rest i am assuming because of velocity i didnt feel i pulled any shots. 48gr is out simply because it is compressed to much for my clip had to run in die twice to get it to depth. i can seat out to 3.008 but i will have to single load. 47.5 was pretty compressed also but bullet seat to depth on first seat. 47 and 47.5 was close but i think i will try loads in between 46-46.5 as they are the closest and at the top of a whip it seams as 45.5 is completely on the bottom of a whip. maybe 45.7, 46,46.2,46.5. and shoot at 300 if Oklahoma wind cooperates. i was expecting a lot more vertical with 5 gr difference especially the first 43gr and the last 48gr only hitting 1/2 inch apart.

I think you right about 47-48gr even though cases measured ok primers are flatter on 47,47.5,48. 48 jumped up quit abit higher than the rest i am assuming because of velocity i didnt feel i pulled any shots. 48gr is out simply because it is compressed to much for my clip had to run in die twice to get it to depth. i can seat out to 3.008 but i will have to single load. 47.5 was pretty compressed also but bullet seat to depth on first seat. 47 and 47.5 was close but i think i will try loads in between 46-46.5 as they are the closest and at the top of a whip it seams as 45.5 is completely on the bottom of a whip. maybe 45.7, 46,46.2,46.5. and shoot at 300 if Oklahoma wind cooperates. i was expecting a lot more vertical with 5 gr difference especially the first 43gr and the last 48gr only hitting 1/2 inch apart.

If 47.5-48gn are too hot and too compressed for your taste then i wouldnt bother re testing them. Id save the space on the target for a lower powder charge just in case there is a wider node there.

I would also suggest remaining with .5gn increments as well as scooting back as far as reasonable (5-6 hundred yds). I personally want a ladder test to be a big long vertical string so i can see potential nodes easier. Right now with them all being so close, the normal dispersion from menial matters can easily skew the results.

I wouldnt much care about where the barrel is when the bullet is realeased. Id save that for group shooting at another time.

47.5 and 48 web measured .0002 expansion and cases didnt even stretch still measure same as new 2.004. i dont know why primers are flatter maybe just now getting close enough to pressure to flatten them. i tried several test before at 600-800 yards but with Oklahoma wind gust its a pain. it is supposed to be around 19mph rest of this weekend and around 12-15 rest of week. since my chrony is junk and new one wont be here until thursday i am going to load up 5 at 47.5 and 5 at 47 and see what kind of group i get to windy for another ladder test tomorrow. i trhink those will be the only 2 loads faster than the varget loads that shoots one hole. if they wont shoot i will stick with varget loads.

47.5 and 48 web measured .0002 expansion and cases didnt even stretch still measure same as new 2.004. i dont know why primers are flatter maybe just now getting close enough to pressure to flatten them. i tried several test before at 600-800 yards but with Oklahoma wind gust its a pain. it is supposed to be around 19mph rest of this weekend and around 12-15 rest of week. since my chrony is junk and new one wont be here until thursday i am going to load up 5 at 47.5 and 5 at 47 and see what kind of group i get to windy for another ladder test tomorrow. i trhink those will be the only 2 loads faster than the varget loads that shoots one hole. if they wont shoot i will stick with varget loads.

Sounds like a plan. Lets us know how it goes.

well we finally got power back on from the big ice storm we had here in OK. man it was like 2" thick trees and power lines all over roads, post snapped in half sparking and starting fires. good thing my wife put 2 fireplaces in here when we design this house. it wasnt bad with the fires just no water from the waterwell really sucked my genny wasnt big enough to pull the new constant pressure pump we put in. anyhow finally got to load some more up and i could only get to 2500fps but accuracy was not even close to the 2410 varget loads. i guess it is just a good excuse to buy a new scope with more ele adjustment.

Finally got out to do some more testing with H4350 and the 215 hybrid. The wind was gusting horrible from 5-15mph so moved in to 200yards. The first shot were 46.5 and vertical was great but horizontal was around 1moa. could have been me in the wind i was trying to shoot in the calm spots and it was my first 3. The others groups i shot each fast trying to keep shots in same condition. I think it worked better that way. The last group was with my varget load just for reference of the wind because i know it will put 5 shots in 1 hole at 200yards. i am going to have to test 46.5 some more just to see if it was me pulling since i haven't shot in awhile. The varget load is still impressing me even though it is 2349fps. I have hit targets consistently out to 1350 yards without problems. I shot it with some friends shooting 6.5 creeds with 140gr bergers, they couldn't believe how much harder my 308 rang steel at 1000- 1250 than their creeds. The H4350 is getting me between 2500-2530 if i can get it to shoot good groups. that vastly improves my trans sonic range past the 1350yards now.

Attachments

• 46.5.jpg
    46.5.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 47.5.jpg
    47.5.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 47
Wind is another reason i like to test at 600+. Its pretty evident when the wind gets you at distance, where as at 100-300 it could be easier to misread as bad grouping.

At 780 it was clear i blew a wind call here.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 45
If it was steady I would have went ahead and shot it at my plate at 600. But it was gusting from 5-15 on the wind meter Continuously. I really didn't think I would even get Bullets touching at 200 in the gusts

If it was steady I would have went ahead and shot it at my plate at 600. But it was gusting from 5-15 on the wind meter Continuously. I really didn't think I would even get Bullets touching at 200 in the gusts

You will continually be surprised at how the 215 performs in those conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.