Older VX-iii 3.5 -10 question

csmith86

I just purchased a rifle with an older gloss finish vx-iii 3.5 - 10 x 40. It has something on the magnification adjustment ring I have never seen. From the rear of the scope, the top of the ring has the magnification number (i.e. 3.5 x and so on) and on the bottom of the ring it has yardage/ meter numbers. Along with this there is detentes when you turn the ring.

Has anyone every seen a scope like this?

Thanks!
Clint

Yes I have the same scope in siver. You use the reticle to judge distance to a deer sized target. The cross hair sits on the deers back and the point where your vertical goes thick under the chest. You turn the power up or down so the deer fits and that is supposed to be the yardage. How ever I have no idea if it actually works. They are nice scopes though enjoy it. Let us know if it works. Distance is supposed to be between 10 or 12 inches I believe.

Wildbill is exactly right. It works on anything you know the size of. My dad and I had cow tags one time like 10 years ago it was like -15 and we had put this long stock on these cows. Fog rolled in and we couldnt range them across the canyon. So I used my reticle and it said 550. I knew that was pretty close because I had hunted that canyon my whole life and have ranged it many times. Anyway having used it several times in the past I trusted it and it was spot on

Last edited:
Wildbill is exactly right. It works on anything you know the size of. My dad and I had cow tags one time like 10 years ago it was like -15 and we had put this long stock on these cows. Dog rolled in and we couldnt range them across the canyon. So I used my reticle and it said 550. I knew that was pretty close because I had hunted that canyon my whole life and have ranged it many times. Anyway having used it several times in the past I trusted it and it was spot on

That is great, thank you for the answer and the first hand experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.