Old Remmy's

Rem700

I was wondering if anybody has a late 70's to early 80's Rem 700 varmint rifle. I wondered how they shoot? I found a '79 varmint rifle wearing a factory bdl classic stock and wanted to add it to my Remington collection, but not quite sure. I do know i would LOVE to have a varmint express in 308. But i just wanted people thoughts on the old school rem's for collecting.

Last edited:
In my experience that time period Remington 700 is generally a better shooter than the currently available rifles. If you find one that hasn't been shot out, in good condition, I'd go for it.

I was wondering if anybody has a late 70's to early 80's Rem 700 varmint rifle. I wondered how they shoot? I found a '79 varmint rifle wearing a factory bdl classic stock and wanted to add it to my Remington collection, but not quite sure. I do know i would LOVE to have a varmint express in 308. But i just wanted people thoughts on the old school rem's for collecting.

I had one oF those years ago, and I wish I had it back. Beautiful wood, very slick trigger. Commonly shot 1/4 min groups. If the gun is in good shape, it is worth owning. If I was to run into one at a gun show, or a shop, it would probably have to come home with me. I floated the barrel, and bedded mine, and it shot sweet. Those guns were built well in that era. I think that most of the remmys built around that time were real shooters. I had a 79, .280, that was marked 7 mm Express. That thing was a drill. I went through a little rough patch a few years back, after my divorce, and had to sell it to eat. I would give ANYTHING to have that gun back, the 308 too. Like I said before, if it is in good shape, well, you know what to do!!! Enjoy. You probably won't be dis- appointed.

My Rem 700BDL in 243Win comes from that time period and it's a fine shooter. Two thumbs up! Seems that Rem's quality control was better then than now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.