Old dude heads west.

25 Otter

OK folks. I have a question. I'm 48,and a PA flatlander. I will likely draw an Elk license for next fall and need to drop a few pounds. I'm not exactly a couch potato,but no long distance runner either. I train twice a week in the Martial Arts but don't worry too much about being 200 lbs. What I want to know is what can I do to maintain good muscle mass while dropping 20 or 25 pounds this year before hitting the hills of Colorado. Are there any suppliments maybe along the lines of amino acids or the like that will help while dieting and circuit training? I can hike and carry a pack along with my other exercises,but I don't run. Or jog for that matter. Cardio,weight training,martial arts and hiking are pretty much it. I hope to actually add a little muscle,but would settle for not loosing what I have at present. Any sugestions? Thanks :).

Skip all the fancy supplements. I live in Longmont, at about 5100 ft. I am also 48, or so, and when I moved here from CT, it was a little tough at first. I took a few days to get acclimated, despite the fact that I was routinely cycling close to 5000 miles/yr. The thing that kills you out here is your ability to recover and utilize oxygen at higher altitude (say 7-8000 ft or more).

If you start with some form of cardio training, you'll be ahead of the game. If you want to drop pounds, do some form of Atkins, where you limit the amount of carbohydrates in your diet. If you cut carbs, and exercise 3-4 times a week for an hour or so, you'll drop the pounds. This will serve you much better than weight training for hunting around here.

The only weight training I would do would focus on the lower body, and would be more circuit training. Lugging large heavy muscles around is hard work, and tone lean muscle works much better at higher elevations. Fast hiking is probably a good start. Also try some kind of "interval" training, where you hike fast for 3 minutes, at your limit, and then slow down and recover for 10 minutes. Do this a 4-5 times, later on in your training schedule (say april/may).

One more than one occasion, we have hunted uphill in the morning, trying to get ahead of the Elk that are heading back to bedding areas. We have found ourselves "hoofing it" up some pretty steep areas, and then suddenly, you spot the herd. Being able to recover from a harder effort and get a good shot off has been key.

When you do come out here, everyone will tell you to drink lots of fluids, but the key is to also consume some salty bars, or electrolytes. This will help you retain more water while hunting.

I am 62 and will be 63 next month. Don't really understand what you are complaining about at only 48. As was mentioned at altitude you will be having problems with oxygen. Rather than trying to match your lungs to your legs you have to slow your legs down to match your lungs. Everything keys off you ability to transfer oxygen.

YouTube - Time to pack it out

A couple extra days at elevation before the hunt is good also.

My buddy tipped over dead elk hunting last year walking to his dead elk...after a clean bill of health from the Doc.

It wouldn't hurt to get a scan done for blockages. His twin brother went in and ended up having open heart surgery and 4 bypasses after a scan showed the blockages.

His dad died immediately after shooting a Ram in B.C. in 1969 at a few years younger age from massive heart attack. It runs in the family.

I've dropped 40# so far in preparation for a Dall Sheep or Moose hunt in AK this sept. Cutting carbs has been the biggest thing for me, besides portion size :D I'm just starting to exercise and am working on toning and cardio. I still want to loose about 20# more. as it gets closer I plan to add my pack and increasing weight in the pack so I'm conditioned to 40# in the pack. I will probably not have the elevation issues you may run into but oxygen recovery will still be an issue if chasing sheep.

I did learn on my first trip to AK that Gatorade or any electrolyte replenishment makes a HUGE difference.

I'm "only" 33 but am realizing I don't recover nearly as fast as I did when I was in AK five years ago. I didn't do any prehunt prep last time and paid for it! I want to make sure I can make the most of any opporttunity that arises.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would also advise staying away from any "magic" pills and such. Eat well and continue to push yourself.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Thanks for all the good input fellas. I appreciate it. I know I need to cut the carbs. I just hate the thought. I do like my cookies and pasta. I am looking forward to getting into better shape in general though. What better reason than hunting Elk?

I am a lot closer to buffalobob than to your 48 and he gives some good advice. I backpack up and down the hills every year. I say start training now with a beer a day and gradually work up to the trip so by the time you get west you are emptying enough cans to have a good time. They make great muscle relaxers for sore muscles and make you feel better mentally about the trip.

Doctors say alcohol kills brain cells. Since your a hunter you know that predators take out the weak and sick animals. I figure alcohol does the same thing taking out all the weak and sick brain cells and that is why I am so much smarter when I have a few beers.

With my training technique you would not only feel better on the hunt but be much smarter to outwit those old age class trophies that outfox everybody else. If you need any more help just let me know when I'm not drinking so I can remember what I was talking about.

Amazing the different ways 12 ounce curls can get you ready for hunting season.

Disclaimer: My wife said I need to let everybody know I don't even drink. She says I just act like it sometimes.

Last edited:
Hey visigoth,I see you are from Longmont Colo. An old school buddy of mine lived in Longmont for a couple years back in the late 80s. He and his wife worked up in Loveland at a ski resort a couple seasons. He used to **** me off when I would call out from back here in PA. One year during the Super Bowl,I called to rub him about the score. He was called away from the phone for a second and when he came back he said the sheep had the road plugged up infront of his house again. He got the last rub in on that one. Come to think of it,he always got the last laugh. When he was stationed in Hawaii I called him during the Super Bowel again. We were below zero here and wadeing snow. He said he was grilling out and throwing the frisbee! I hate him.

L.T.L.R., That's how I've been training for years:D. I didn't realize it was the standard regimen for alpine adventures. I'm ahead of the game:cool:.

Unit 67 is pretty hill, based on the maps so getting in shape will serve you well. I haven't seen any sheep around here in a long time. I think your friend probably wouldn't recognize Longmont today, though the snooty residents of Boulder still love having fun with this place. Good luck on your hunt, it should be good down in that region.

Here is a link to a reprint out on Grand Slam Club/Ovis http://www.wildsheep.org/pdf/six_minute_hill.pdf

I did it 3 years ago to get ready for a sheep hunt here in Colorado and it does work. If it will get you into Sheep Shape it should get you into Elk Shape. The .pdf file is locked and it's too late in the work day to play with unlocking it so you have to open it. One last thing, I did this when I was 62 :D and I'm still applying for sheep tags and plan on getting at least one more.

Age isn't the problem, commitment is.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts