Okie Boys 338AM and the New Wildcat bullets

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Are great northern buddy has had his crazy mind at work again and he recently sent us the fruits of some of his labor. We got some of the same prototype bullets that kirby has been shooting and this weekend at the annual Alex County Rifle Competition we got a good chance to get er done.

After the shoot we set up the big 338 and the "oohhh and aahhh's" quickly began. Our first task was too test the 300gr bullets richard had sent us. Ours were a little shorter than the 311gr bullets Kirby was testing, ours measured 2.054". BJ loaded them up with 140grs of H50 BMG and CCI primer and we set up a 100yd trgt. Neither of us really expected these bullets to land on point so mostly this was a test to see if they simply made it to the trgt. 2 shots later we found 2 perfectly round bullet holes connected to form a figure 8 in the trgt. We were both surprised and more than a little pleased.

Our NF scope we have on the big 338 has the CH-3 reticle in it and while this may be the best reticle for extreme range precision shooting at anything under around 700 yds we have a hard time. There are no reference points on the top stadia post so we simply have to guess where to hold. We placed a small dot on the very bottom of the trgt and used that as a hold point for the next 3 shots. Boom Boom Boom and about 7" above the dot formed a nice 3 shot cluster, again all landed on point.

After this we decided to do a little playing on the 775 yd gong. I fired my first shot at it and watched the bullet land a little low and right on the berm. Its pretty **** impressive to be able to spot your own shots when your firing a 300gr bullet with 140grs of powder!!!!

I adjusted to from my POA to my POI and recentered to scope on the gong. I fired my shot and a fraction of a second later I saw the slap on the gong and then heard the resounding ping. Next we let Rick, the guy who runs the shoot, take a shot. He lines up, steadies, pulls, and ping. I look through the scope and notice that the impacts look really close. We let the bbl cool and told my cousin Ryan he was next up. We got to talkin about other stuff and kinda forgot about it for 15-20 minutes. Ryan reminded us about why we were there and I told him to get on the gun. He lined up on the gong and BAMM, same result. I looked through the scope and told BJ to get his camera cause we were going for a walk.

This is the result of 3 different shooters over the course of around 20 minutes in 30 mph wind, here is the pic
4RSpring07028.jpg

4RSpring07027.jpg

We didnt measure the group but it was right at 1.75", i was more than happy with it. What was really impressive was the almost complete lack of verticle. The shot on the left was taken by Ryan and was the last shot, taken more than 15 minutes after the first two. Also there was not precise point of aim, we just held in the center of the gong.

Thanks again Kirby for the amazingly accurate rifle, you know whats comin up next buddy!!!!! Time to go to dog town!!!!

thanks
steve

Nice very nice.........
thumb.gif
What were your corrections and what bc did this compute to?

We didnt chrono any of the shots due to the gail force winds!!!!! Real detailed velocities and BC estimates of the aluminum tipped bullets will becoming fairly soon. I am only guessing but I believe i adjusted for around 10-12" of windage at 775, but i didnt have a true zero either so my left and right may have already been off some.

thanks
steve

here are some pics of a gong at 250yds we shot twice. First shot is the tear in the top and second shot is the lower one. The gong is 1" thick or a little more I believe, the reason it is black is because it got hit with 4 rnds from a 50 BMG with incindeary rounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The second shot was all but a full pass through

A suppressed 50 will put a big ol grin on ya face!!!!!!Almost as big as the 338 AM will!!!!
4RSpring07026.jpg

4RSpring07025.jpg

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.