OK I just took the big leap and ordered a Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD

Southernfryedyankee

I do have a couple of questions, Will having a MRAD based system throw the sighting in of my scope off? I have a MOA mentality as that is what I learned on. Will I be able to sight in my scope as accurately with MRAD as using an MOA based sytem of clicks which is 1/4" clicks?

Is there a list of known/approx target sizes (deer 18", man groin to head 39")
What is the best way to make a drop chart? trajectory chart? Dope card?

I am sure there will be more questions to come.

OMG dude that a lot of questions. First I would advise against the use of mils for ranging game animals. It's ok to practice with mils but you should use a range finder to confirm.

The military uses mils in their rifle scopes, but no one cares where you hit a man as long as you take him out of the fight. When you're using a mil system to engage men it works very well because even though men come in all shapes and sizes there weapons and equipment do not. Therefore determining an accurate range to target is much more precise.

Game animals come in all shapes and sizes as well. But let's say you took 18" as your standard and did all your range estimations off that measurement. Your math was spot on and you came up with 950 meters dialed up your dope and pressed the send button on an animal that actual measures 15" are you going to make a clean kill? Are you going to even hit your target?

As for the drop chart use Len's program it works fine verify, print and tape to stock or put in your shooting log.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.