OK.....I am a believer. 308/RL-17/208 AMAX = sweet spot

I am going to Texas in a week and will test how the 208 A-max does on some pigs (hopefully).

I agree for matches the recoil gets slightly annoying. After a 60 round-ish F-class match I bet your shoulder would be rather sore.

Have you noticed how fast your barrel heats up from RL17? I have a 1.25" dia barrel and it gets smokin hot after 5-6 shots...

I read some where on the net that RL17 will burn your throat out quicker.
is it true I have no idea.

I read some where on the net that RL17 will burn your throat out quicker.
is it true I have no idea.

I am not sure if RL17 has been available long enough for enough shooters to deduce this. I heard the same thing about VV N500 seris powders also. My throat looks good and until running RL17, that is all I have been using. Who knows.

Does it look like RL-17 will work good in all of the cartridges based on the 308 casing? I have a 243 win, 2 in 7mm-08 rem, and a I just picked up a 308 win too. Sure would be nice if I could use all the same powder in all 4 guns. I am a new reloader (or soon to be reloader) and would enjoy having as few components to source as I can. I have a 338 AX coming from Kirby and might have it this fall so need to practice on how to "roll my own".

Thanks,

Jay

Does it look like RL-17 will work good in all of the cartridges based on the 308 casing? I have a 243 win, 2 in 7mm-08 rem, and a I just picked up a 308 win too. Sure would be nice if I could use all the same powder in all 4 guns. I am a new reloader (or soon to be reloader) and would enjoy having as few components to source as I can. I have a 338 AX coming from Kirby and might have it this fall so need to practice on how to "roll my own".

Thanks,

Jay

I have just started using RL-17 myself. I am using it in .308 with Berger 185g Classic Hunter Hybrids for F-Class and have had excellent results.

In regards to your question, my understanding is that RL-17 offers advantages with heavy bullets in any cartridge that does its best work with powders in the 4350 to 4831 burn rate range. That especially seems to be true in cartridges that show compressed charges of those powders with heavy bullets. I am basing this mostly on what I have read since RL-17 was introduced, rather than extensive experience.

Based on what I have read, I would say that 7-08 with 160g+ bullets would be a good application for RL-17. I'm not sure about .260. I don't think it would do anything special for you in .243 because that cartridge does its best work with slower powders.

I would like to try it in 30-06 with 215g Berger Hybrids, in 338-06AI with 225 to 250g bullets, and in 375 H&H with 300g and 350g bullets. In the 375, I am having such good results with H4350 and 300g bullets that I am having trouble finding a reason to try RL-17. I may feel differently when I step up to 350g bullets, or I might do it just to satisfy my curiosity.

In short, my thinking is that any cartridge that works well with H4350, but runs just a bit short of capacity before reaching max pressures is an excellent candidate for RL-17. I guess I will see if my thinking on that evolves with further testing.

Benchracer, I would say you are correct based on my experience and reading. I find I need about 1 more grain of RL17 to reach max than H4350, so the 2 are very close with RL17 being slightly slower which is how they are charted.

Guide, it may be too fast for heavier bullets in the 243 but should do well in the 7-08 from what I've read.

I sure love RL-17 in my Lazz Patriot I can tell you that. It almost makes me want to break my old thought process & buy another .308 :D

I too believe that it might not be a great choice for the .243 but who knows? I've got a couple of them lying around here, might just have to try it :rolleyes:

t

I've found that my 5R .308 Win really likes 39.1gr of Varget stuffed behind a 210 Berger VLD and press fit up against the lands. It's shooting REALLY nice for me.

Thanks,

Jay

RL17 works well in my 24 inch bbl 7-08 with Berger 140 vld hunting bullets . velocity is right at 3080 FPS .

I know this an oldie but I wanted to know if you were still playing with the 208 and rl17. I am in the process of getting the funds together for a 26" 308 bbl for my savage and am in pressed with the numbers you posted.

I do on occasion. I use N550 as well but I'm having better success with H4350 under the 190-215s. It takes up a lot of case capacity but it's working better than I ever expected. I'm at 48 grains under the 200 hybrids and 210 ABLRS. I think H4350 gives up a little bit of velocity to R17 but it's more temp stable, cleans easier and generates a lot less pressure at near similar velocities. I'm running 49 and 50 with the 190s. These are very compressed but despite that, I'm getting single digit extreme spreads in the Palma case lit by 205m primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.