Odd fouling problem

Varmint Hunter

I'm working with a new 6.5x284 rifle. Rifle has a Lilja SS barrel with a Vais brake. I always remove the brake and soak it in SC/Kroil while cleaning the barrel. The face of the barrel, which is exposed without the brake in place, is fouled with a black carbon like substance that seems impervious to the SC/Kroil. A stiff plastic brushing with solvent does nothing.

Anyone else have this problem? How would you suggest removing it without damaging the crown?

If it makes any difference, I'm shooting 49gr H4350 and clean every 20-25 rounds.

I've noticed the same fouling on my .243, which has a Holland brake. I just got the brake put on it and plan on cleaning it for the first time this weekend. I'll let you know if it comes off easily.

Some of it will come off with a bronze brush. You can also try buying a 'fly line cleaning pad'. It is a pad for fly fishing line with an extremely fine abrasive on it.
The same type of carbon that you are describing occurs on the front of my 44 mag's cylinder. The fly line cleaning pad takes most of it off. There is also a spray available (Carter's Compensator Spray) that you can put on the brake and the crown that keeps the carbon from sticking.

I clean my Holland brake and crown with some swabs a friend has (where he got them I don't know and I don't think he remembers).
I put some barnes CR10 on the swabs and it cleans right up but still has a slight discoloration ( not as pretty as when new ) but thats it. The powder fouling and whatever else is gone. These swabs are not cotton but some type of sponge deal that soaks up just the right amount of barnes for the job.

Get some Butches Bore Shine. It eats powder fouling very well. Get enough to put in a cup to soak your break. Can do this until its clean. For the crown, I soak a heavy shop towel and work the crown until its clean.

One thing you may want to try is a product called Break Saver. This is used mainly for the 50 BMG rifles to help limit carbon build up on the brakes from burning 215 to 230 gr of powder at relatively low pressures.

Brownells used to carry this but do not know if they still do.

There are two types I have seen, a light jell and a spray. Once the brake is totally clean you apply this product by either wiping it on for the jell or spraying it on. IT helps prevent the fouling being able to attach to the brake surface.

To be honest, this is a fact of life to some degree with a muzzle brake so you can only try to control it as much as possible.

Kirby Allen(50)

Just cleaned my .243 with the Holland. Crown was NASTY!! I just took of the brake and soaked it like Kirby said. I then sprayed some Hoppe's Elite on the crown and let it soak while cleaning the bore.

While I let the solvent set, I would take a nylon brush and scrub on the crown. I was also able to flake some off with my fingernail. It was kind of a pain in the you know what, but it came clean.

Now the whole rig is shining, hoping the wind dies down one evening this week so she can try to lob one into an unsuspecting pd @ about 1500 yds!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
One thing you may want to try is a product called Break Saver. This is used mainly for the 50 BMG rifles to help limit carbon build up on the brakes from burning 215 to 230 gr of powder at relatively low pressures.

There are two types I have seen, a light jell and a spray. Once the brake is totally clean you apply this product by either wiping it on for the jell or spraying it on. IT helps prevent the fouling being able to attach to the brake surface.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arizona Ammunition carries it: <ul type="square"> [*] (623) 516-9004
[*] FAX (623) 516-9012
[/list]

Great Post Kirby - thx for the help.

Fiftydriver,

Save your $ for better things.
Butches Bore shine is the same composition of active ingredients as as GM top engine cleaner.Difference is that Butches cost 6.99 per 4 oz. and GM Tec is 6.99 per qt.
How do I know ? I read the labels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also did a test comparing their performance.
Same results.

To remove this very tough fouling, just get some lead away clothes. This stuff does a number on baked on fouling and lead deposits. Will take off bluing so be careful. Simple.

I too have tried Butch's bore shine and was unimpressed. Did ok with the powder fouling. Certainly no better then hoppes or other cheaper products. I use GM top engine cleaner too.

On copper, it was horrid. Simply did not do the job. If shooting match barrels where copper fouling is very low, would probably be just fine. For everything else, I rate it dead last.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.