Odd ball buck european mount

oldfamily

Some of you might be interested in something other than a normal horn mount. I had enough shoulder mounts in the house so I came up with this idea to keep the wife happy. My taxiderist traded working on this for the cape. Skull had to be boiled out and bleached I really like the way it came out.

That is a very strange deer head.

I do it that way a lot. Pronghorn heads work well because the sheath comes off and you just glue it back on. Wife does not tolerate me boiling it in the house on the stove so I do it outside on a Coleman camp stove.

Mindcrime all I did was cape the head out, used a propane fish cooker so the wife would not get upset, and several pots of water. Used a heavy salt water boil first, this got the meat pretty much of the bone, and then changed the water. next two boils was with dawn dish washing liquid to help remove the oil and such. The flesh and connective tissue just about fell off did use pliers to remove the nasal material. Took the skull back to the taxiderist and he had the peroxide to bleach with. He now does all the steps so I don't have to hear about it from my wife so that keeps her happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He does about a 1/4 of the deer he gets in his shop this way now. Much less than a shoulder mount (he trades the work for the cape if they are good) and you don't have to shell out a lot of money to have a full shoulder mount. One last thing you will have to take a band saw and remove the teeth and the spinal cup off the skull to hang from the wall, you could leave them for a display on a table just would have to remove the brain and glue the teeth in once it is done. Is also a good idea to glue the nose bones in place once you are done. Hope this helps oldfamily.

Here is an elk mount "European" style. The 5 x 5 is not what I would spend big money on a full head mount, the european style is much more economical and does it justice. Artwork is courtesy of my wife, the back board I made from old grey wood planks that I took off an old granary.

APr0051.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/elkfirst/APr0049.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.