Obama on hunting and fishing

mikebob

What is your take on this quote: I could not help myself I had to go to the whitehouse.org website and see what is going on :rolleyes: .
I came across this quote which contradicts a lot of the laws I have been hearing that are going to be put into effect now that Obama is in the house. Just wondering what others thought, or heard anything else on this issue.

Sportsmen

President Obama did not grow up hunting and fishing, but he recognizes the great conservation legacy of America's hunters and anglers and has great respect for the passion that hunters and anglers have for their sports. Were it not for America's hunters and anglers, including the great icons like Theodore Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold, our nation would not have the tradition of sound game management, a system of ethical, science-based game laws and an extensive public lands estate on which to pursue the sport. The President and Vice President recognize that we must forge a broad coalition if we are to address the great conservation challenges we face. America's hunters and anglers are a key constituency that must take an active role and have a powerful voice in this coalition.

EDIT: I found on the site a contact for president. I sent questions about hunting, gun control, conceal carry, and various other aspects about gun manufacturing
Lets see what kind of response I get.

Last edited:
Since we don't have a working crystal ball, only time will tell. Just more lawyer lip service as far as I'm concerned. He may be an eloquent speaker but talk and no substance is like making a cake without sugar. It's there, looks good, but tastes like crap, which is the real litmus test. I am a conservative person for the most part, but I intend to give the man a chance. If he's as smart as he thinks he is, he will be placing himself more right center. He's already ****ed off a lot of left wingers by appointing Clintonites.

My hope is that he ran a campaign and told voters what they wanted to hear just to get elected and what he does from this day fwd is to be more center. He knows he'll be under the glass for the next 4 years, although most of the country will be tolerant, if he becomes a squeak in the wheel too many times, he'll be another Carter.

48 months of testing: ready, set, go....

That's what his web site says... this is what his AG says...

YouTube - Holder : Make Assault Weapons Ban Permanent

hmmmmm...

I would almost bet that ban is going to be rewritten with a more accurate description of what an assault weapon is. I read an article published by the military about what is considered to be an assault weapon. If he goes by the military recommendations we should be alright because it was stated in that article that the AR-15 and semi auto rifles in hunting cal. are not assault weapons, they are manufactured to resemble assault weapons but not to the same specifications. They are manufactured in such a way that the components needed to become an assault weapon are missing and not able to be installed. I assume that meant fully auto.

Again I have no Idea if this is true as I do not own one, I do however have a m-16 that has been set to semi auto only. I am sure it will be on the list.

I do now the conceal carry crowd I chat with are very concerned over this issue. They believe he is trying to ban it also or at least take it away from the states. I do know that after the few colleges got hit many more people and states adopted conceal carry. Conceal carry permit for OK allows you to carry in 31 states now.

If anyone else read that article please chime in I can't find it anywhere.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I was born and raised in Chicago. Their gun laws are pretty restrictive i.e. no projectiles sold in the city - down to bb's for bb guns. If he or his appointee's try and bring any semblence of those laws to the Federal level we'll all be in trouble.

The amount of graft and corruption that goes on behind the scenes is just amazing. What the Govenor did is nothing!

He has not one thing in support of hunting or fishing here in Illinois. He has attacked us at every turn. Anybody who buys this is very naive......watch your back!

Holder says Obama wants to ban "Cop Killer" bullets? What specifically is a "Cop Killer" bullet?

Paul

Last edited:
What will be done if he is saying these things to get himself elected, then turn around and deny these things once in office. Will you fight, let it slide, or what. I for one think he should be held accountable for his words after all it is posted on the website for the president. I think that is one of our greatest weakness, we let things go saying its only for four years.

I guarantee you one thing if he was trying to ban something that women held dear to their heart his *** would be backing up after the first day it was mentioned.
They would bring the whitehouse to its knees, just like they did johnson & johnson, and other feminine products i don't care to mention.

Kids now days are all for green planet, kids with the help of school teachers all over the world are taking responsibility for making this a green planet. Look what they have achieved, they will save this planet with or without the help of our government. Notice the government has taken notice and is now on board, the government had to get on board because they gave them no choice. Pretty much help us or we will do it without you attitude.

Notice all the things coming out now freely like peak oil, ice melting, severe weather everywhere that is all do to our kids listening to what the experts say and taking action on it and the great school teachers who give them the tools to do so. They will not take no, or the governments word that its all hype, they demand answers. We could learn a lot from our own kids and hate to say it but wives too.

If we could shut up for awhile and listen and learn from them we would be a force to recon with also, the government would not be able to do whatever they wanted because they would have to answer for it. No matter how corrupt the government is it has to answer to all women because women demand it

Our government is not for the people, it is for lobbyist, kids, and women because they demand it. It is not for man because we don't demand it or hold it accountable, we say, oh yea only for four years buddy.

How about from the horse's mouth (Urban Policy):

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

They WILL pass some sort of assault weapons ban and provision for "keeping guns out of children's hands", as they have been talking about this for years.

What is this?

I have no idea, but I suspect that they will require background checks at all gun shows, and possibly between private individuals as well. They have been saying for a long time that people can just go to gun shows, and by-pass the normal background checks that one encounters at retail outlets. Its reasonable to assume that they will extend this to private transfers between non-family members.

Get ready for:

1) Cop-Killer Bullets
2) Storage Requirements
3) "Arsenal" tax surcharges (i.e., Brady II)
...Repeat...

GunCite-Gun Control: "Cop-killer" Bullets

A hx of 'cop killer' written by a police officer, apparently. Quote of last sentence:

"Cop-killer" bullets are a myth born from media hype and nurtured by unrealistic Hollywood portrayals and the deliberately misleading claims of the anti-gun lobby. An objective, rational look at the facts quickly separates the myth from the reality. Knowledge is power. "

Is this article factual? I don't know much about handgun bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.