O-give O-guyve or o-jive

Pronounce it however you want. Half of the people won't know if you are pronouncing it right or wrong and the half the does know won't care. Same goes for Lapua and Sako.

LA-poo-ah just doesn't sound right, even if it is right. I always have and likely always will pronounce it la-POO-ah.

The dork who runs the reloading store at the local gun range told me I was WRONG !
It's pronounced ogive with a G. I told him that UCLA's entire mathematics department must have it wrong. He also said I wasted my money on bushing dies.

The dork who runs the reloading store at the local gun range told me I was WRONG !
It's pronounced ogive with a G. I told him that UCLA's entire mathematics department must have it wrong. He also said I wasted my money on bushing dies.

As in o-give? Not o-jive? If so then you were wrong. And there is a valid argument against bushing dies. I use them, but all my reloads that I use Lee collet dies for produce the least runout and most consistent bullet tension and I don't have to ever turn the neck down.

As in o-give? Not o-jive? If so then you were wrong. And there is a valid argument against bushing dies. I use them, but all my reloads that I use Lee collet dies for produce the least runout and most consistent bullet tension and I don't have to ever turn the neck down.

On the bushing subject, Check your dies by shaking them. if you cant hear the bushing rattling, you have the bushing nut to tight. It is recommended that after installing the bushing you turn the nut down until it touches and just barely back it off to allow the bushing to find center (It only has 1 to 2 thousandths clearance) but if the bushing is held in place and not allowed to center it can be off by that amount.

I have had just the opposite results with the bushing dies when checked for concentricity.

J E CUSTOM

Yep. Floated bushings and match dies. Runout hasn't been terrible, but inconsistent enough that I have to check every one and do a high runout and low runout batch.
I measure runout at the o-JIVE ;) , and even though my worst are usually under .004 and best in the sub .001, the collet dies consistently run .001-.002

Yep. Floated bushings and match dies. Runout hasn't been terrible, but inconsistent enough that I have to check every one and do a high runout and low runout batch.
I measure runout at the o-JIVE ;) , and even though my worst are usually under .004 and best in the sub .001, the collet dies consistently run .001-.002

Do you guys check case wall/ neck thickness variation with new brass?
You cant make chicken soup out of chicken s***.

The more times you resize, shoot, resize, shoot the more pronounced the run out is going to be on a case whos walls aren't of reasonable consistent thickness around the whole circumference.
Dies arent going to make bad brass good.

Do you guys check case wall/ neck thickness variation with new brass?
You cant make chicken soup out of chicken s***.

The more times you resize, shoot, resize, shoot the more pronounced the run out is going to be on a case whos walls aren't of reasonable consistent thickness around the whole circumference.
Which is why collet dies are so nice - less sensitive to such inconsistencies in brass.

There is nothing wrong with any type of die as long as it is properly adjuste to get the best/most accurate sizing.

What works best for me is, Before I fire any brass the first time I always use a sizing mandrel to size the ID of the case to fit the turning mandrel on the neck turner then turn all of the necks to the same thickness (No more than it takes to clean them up).

Now that the necks are the same thickness, firing them in a good/true chamber guarantees that the necks will have little or no run out. And with the use of the bushing die the exact amount of neck tension can be measured and adjusted buy moving up or down in bushing size .001 thousandths at a time.

I also find that My brass last longer because I am working the brass less. I only do a minimal full length sizing if it becomes noticeably tighter than normal to chamber the round.

The other thing I like about the bushing die is the fact that different brands of brass are harder or softer and require different bushing diameters to overcome differences in spring back.

This is just the way I find the best quality and consistence to deal with run out.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.