Over Pressure w/o Increased Velocity

mikemo4032

I had my 6GT dialed in with Berger 109's and 35.2g RL-16 at 80 degrees and thought I would do a tall target test for something to do. It was near 90 degrees and right away I noticed a stiff bolt. I shot as few more and pierced a primer so I shot 2 more through the mag speed and quit for the day. Before my last match, my average V was 2950. Today it was 2940. How can I have a clear overpressure condition without a V increase?

I should add that my load of 35.5g RL-16 was about 1gr. below max load. I realize that RL-16 is not the best with respect to temp stability and in all likelyhood the hotter temps pushed it over the limit. I just thought it should be accompanied by a velocity increase.

I should add that my load of 35.5g RL-16 was about 1gr. below max load. I realize that RL-16 is not the best with respect to temp stability and in all likelyhood the hotter temps pushed it over the limit. I just thought it should be accompanied by a velocity increase.
I believe RL 16 is the most stable powder on the market, but we can disagree. Run your scope down your barrel again, usually a increase in pressure with a velocity loss means the muzzle end of your barrel is getting slugged up. It is drag.

I believe RL 16 is the most stable powder on the market, but we can disagree. Run your scope down your barrel again, usually a increase in pressure with a velocity loss means the muzzle end of your barrel is getting slugged up. It is drag.
Ok, thanks. I'll clean again and take a look.

You said 35.2gr in your first post then came back with 35.5 in your next post. Maybe there's your problem?

A wet chamber could give you pressure signs and without an increase velocity. Might be worth checking that the chamber is dry

Had similar issue with my 6.5x47, left oil in the chamber and forgot to wipe it out prior to shooting. First 4 rounds had stiff bolt lift and ejector marks. Had me perplexed until I saw the oily cases.
I now always swab out my chambers/bores before shooting.

Cheers.

68 years plus 14 plus bad eyes plus handshakes = more problems than I deserve. But never give up trying for that elusive bug hole accuracy. Carbon rings are another problem that must be dealt with more often than we expect.

Curious if a lot of guys that are using RL powders are suffering from premature carbon ring buildup.....
In my 65284s I see it within 30 rounds of RL23 and RL26...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.