Nxs 5.5-22x50 and 40 moa bases

Techy

building a new rifle that I have high hopes for. Rem 700 action, #4 contour barrel. I am thinking the nxs 5.5-22x50 is probably going to be the winner on top but here is my question. It has 100 moa internal adjustment so 50 up and 50 down ish. Will 40 moa base work and still have 100 yard zero. In theory it will be 90 up and 10 down ish. I would think all will work fine but looking for info from those who know for sure. I would love to have all the up possible for future endeavors with long range.

I have researched this but haven't found a lot. Thanks guys

In theory it sounds legit, however reality is another matter.
I have a 40 moa base on one rifle and can zero with about 5.5 minutes left till it bottoms out. On another rifle I have a 20 moa base and only have 4.5 minutes left over. On another rifle I have a 20 moa base and 20 minutes in the rings (Burris zee) for a total of approximately 40 and have 5 full mils to bottom.
You never know till you try, if in doubt use some of the Burris rings with the inserts. Or buy a 20 moa and 40 moa base and sell the one that you don't end up using.

Also, 50 moa will get you out pretty far with most cartridges and loads. Last time I shot my ELR rifle it took 59 minutes to reach 2,000 yards.

59 minutes to get to 2000 yards wow! You must be shooting a 338 lapua zero quite a ways out?

Thanks for the input. Did all scopes you mentioned have the same internal range of adjustment?

59 minutes to get to 2000 yards wow! You must be shooting a 338 lapua zero quite a ways out?

Thanks for the input. Did all scopes you mentioned have the same internal range of adjustment?

.408 Cheytac zeroed at 100 yards.
All scopes had 90 or more moa of adjustment.

Last edited:
I Thought 10 minutes down leftover would have been enough. Losing my confidence, lol

Anyone else with knowledge or experience?

If you use a high quality base and rings, like NightForce, then you should be good. Where you would run into issues is with sloppy tolerances like what you might find on cheap stuff. The only issue I could for see is if your action was a bit out of shape, but if it were me I would definitely go with the 40 minute rail, no reason to limit your system. If it doesn't work, worst case scenario you sell the base and get a 20 minute one. Or just keep it for a future build.

If you use a high quality base and rings, like NightForce, then you should be good. Where you would run into issues is with sloppy tolerances like what you might find on cheap stuff. The only issue I could for see is if your action was a bit out of shape, but if it were me I would definitely go with the 40 minute rail, no reason to limit your system. If it doesn't work, worst case scenario you sell the base and get a 20 minute one. Or just keep it for a future build.

Was planning on nightforce rings and bases, but good point on other brands being a touch sloppier

I have a 20 MOA base machined on top of a BAT action. I have a S&B 4-16 mounted on it. Not sure how far I can dial to as a mile is the farthest I have shot so far.

I have a 20 MOA base machined on top of a BAT action. I have a S&B 4-16 mounted on it. Not sure how far I can dial to as a mile is the farthest I have shot so far.

You can apply your mile DOPE onto the elevation turret and then count how many moa or mils you have left. Then look that number up in your ballistic app to get a good idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.