Number of grooves

Two grooves........ Haha sorry

You would have to give more info to get a better answer. Its possible you would more or less area displaced in the bullet but that would depend on groove/land size or ratio. If you let everyone know what two exact barrels your comparing it will help.

In most common cases you will not see a difference.

I agree with other post no difference you could experience.

There are some that like odd numbered lands and grooves. The theory is there is no opposing land so bullet is less distorted. Have shot 2, 3, 5 and 6 groove barrels and cannot tell the difference. The 2 groove is a springfield WWII rifle made in 1943.

I will mention that the 3 groove when it begins to wear will cause a bullet's jacket to become damaged. I know because it happened with a 257 Weatherby and a 7 Rem mag with Bergers. Had to switch to accubonds or monos to have bullets hold together.

I'd say get the barrel that suits your needs for profile, flutes etc in either 4 or 6 groove.

I have shot 3,4,5,and 6 groove barrels, all with good results. Generally speaking, the less grooves, the wider the lands, but the total bearing surface will usually be close to the same. I have a 3 groove Lilja that I think wears a little better, but the wide lands normally don't like small bores. My 4 groove Krieger is the best shooting rifle that I have, and the 5r barrels are becoming very popular. Pick a good manufacturer and take your choice..........Rich

I have shot 3,4,5,and 6 groove barrels, all with good results. Generally speaking, the less grooves, the wider the lands, but the total bearing surface will usually be close to the same. I have a 3 groove Lilja that I think wears a little better, but the wide lands normally don't like small bores. My 4 groove Krieger is the best shooting rifle that I have, and the 5r barrels are becoming very popular. Pick a good manufacturer and take your choice..........Rich

Mine is very easy to clean and hardly fouls with my shooting regimen.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.