Now I'm Ready for LRH

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just for fun, if I priced the steel rings with the base. it would cost more than some of your rifles.

Ain't a true fact, HOLLYWOOD! Don't need no fancy rifle to shoot good! I wouldn't trade my workin' mans rifle for 10 of your modern contraptions!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 60
Don't forget us stupid country folks from Alabama, too. We get lumped in there alot, as well. We eat mud pies and impregnate our relatives.... :rolleyes:

I was hitting the side of a dirt mountain from 3,000 yards away. Wasn't necessarily where I was aiming, but I watched it impact and it made a dirt poof. Can that count for my long shot? :D

Listen Alabama, where I'm from dirt poofs get ya double points! Only mountains we got in these parts are where the rich folk from the city landfill their garbage! Your shots count as long to me, any day!

Well, you know...Anyone from L.A. or Hollywood will tell you that the south is a bunch of inbred hicks fornicating and impregnating their relatives while we smoke our corncob pipes, drink white lightnin', and pick banjos while we commit sodomy. You know, because they've seen Deliverence, too. :rolleyes:

Trust me, I've heard it 100 times on other forums... And the people were either from Louisiana (I guess they're still ****ed about the last few years of football...Roll Tide, BTW :D ), or SoCal.

I was joking about shooting 3,000 yards at a dirt mound. Just figured since we were all throwing ficticious numbers up, I would join the club. :D

How much would it cost me for one of them workin' man's rifles? I'd like to get one with a trued action, and a glued barrel-to-action joint for extra stiffness and pressure handling...Also, I know it has intense recoil, are you using a thread-through or integrated recoil lug in that thing?

Now that is how to have some fun. That PVC pipe and the Alabama cracks, southern hicks, 3000 yard pile of cow DUNG. Good stuff.. Too bad there is some hate for Hollywood.. We have some real LRH out here. To the southern dung kickers! stop humping your livestock and your siblings. It's not the Christian way.

I find it utterly amazing how people mount scopes....lol

Got enough rings on that scope? You only need 2, one front and one out back if, the rings are properly aligned, the bore is concentric and they are torqued and threadlocked to the ring/scope manufacturers specification.

The extra rings were/are a total waste of time and money.....

Like Ed stated, the mount is only as secure as it's weakest point. Find the weak link and improve on that. Besides a braked 338 only recoils like an unbraked 308.

Your not correct in your comments. Two rings are just fine for an unbraked rifle and most braked rifles depending on chambering but some rifles with the best muzzle brakes out there NEED two sets of scope rings. Let me explain why.

When I designed my Xtreme Heavy Sporter rifles chambered in my 338 Allen Magnum wildcat (338-408 Cheytac Improved and then some). I designed my Painkiller muzzle brake which is a very aggressive design which pretty much eliminated felt recoil.

The first of these rifles built, I took it out at 1000 yards on the first outing and it shot great. After about 30 rounds down the barrel, I started seeing vertical stringing which just got worse and worse.

Took the rifle back to the shop and looked for possible problems. Could not find anything. Pulled the scope off, pulled the rail off, all screws were tight but there were rub marks under the scope base on the receiver......

The scope base on the BAT had no physical support to the recoil and the shear force generated by the recoil was making the rail base ship which resulted in the vertical stringing. To solve this, I machined the rail and the receiver for some huge, tapered head 10-32 mounting bolts and this solved the problem of the base slipping. Later on, I found that pinning the rail base to the receiver using 4, heat treated steel pins solved the problem completely but it raised another problem.

Now that the rail base was solidly in place long term, the next weak link was exposed by the aggressive Painkiller muzzle brake. The recoil energy would push the rifle violently to the rear but when the bullet exited the muzzle brake, the extreme negative G forces generated by the muzzle brake would cause the scope rings to slip to the rear of their rail slots.

Turns out I was starting to see the same exact problem as when the rail was slipping. Shoot great for 20-30 rounds and then vertical stringing would just get worse and worse. Now these were not cheap rings, they were top quality world class rings, NF steel tactical rings, badger ord, Seekins, they all slipped no matter what was tried or how clean, or dry or what thread locker was used.

The cure, after ALOT of testing and proving. Two sets of rings. And they had to be postioned in the right position. If you number the rings from 1-4 starting at the front of the receiver and counting back. Rings 1 and 3 are positioned forward in their rail slots to offer solid support to the recoil energy of the rifle. Rings 2 and 4 are positioned to the rear of the rail slot to offer physical support to the extreme negative G-forces generated by the muzzle brake.

Tighten the rings down in this position and then mount and square the scope. Problem solved long term and that's the only solution I have found.

I have also seen problems using my smaller caliber wildcats when using the Painkiller muzzle brake. Its great that they reduce felt recoil so dramatically but they also make life hard on the optical system of a rifle so it needs to be mounted correct.

If the rifle is coated with cerakote, Teflon or pretty much any other coating, this is pretty much a must with any magnum chambering when using an aggressive muzzle brake.

So while I admit that for most applications of conventional rifles and many rifles with most muzzle brakes do not need multipul ring set ups but there are certainly situations that that REQUIRE a multi ring set up so your comments.

Yoru comments about more then two rings being a waste of time and money is laughable.

Your comments about a braked 338 recoil is the same as an unbraked 308 is also laughable. What you feel in your shoulder is NOT what the rifle and scope goes through. You need to do some research on negative G forces generated by muzzle brakes and how they effect and generally rip apart an optical system not designed and built specifically to support internal lenses against these negative G-forces.

Again, do some research and educate your self on what actually happens to a rifle and scope when a good muzzle brake is used.

Speaking for the both of us, whatever floats your boat. Your boat isn't our boat.

Personally, I'd never post up a picture on a publically viewed forum (such as this) of any platform with 5 rings on one tube even if they were free.....

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, functionality is another issue.

Dorky is dorky no matter how it's spelled.

Lets see the print at 1750, talk is cheap.

Have a nice day.....:rolleyes:

Pretty strong words considering the information you offered is FLAT OUT WRONG!!! Talk is cheap when the information your offering is wrong!!! Sounds like you need to go back to the HIDE and hold your tongue a bit more.

You are a QUEER.. Weak one at that.. Broke *** Trash.

WOW, I was kind of trying to offer you some support but after reading this post, I see your just as much of a fool as those hammering you.

Defend your case with facts, they back you up, no need to make it personal and there is no need for personal attacks from either side. I will be more then willing to debate the topic of multi ring set ups all day long because I would dare say I have more experience testing single set and double sets of rings then most on here simply because it was a nessesity to keep the scopes solidly in place when using my Painkiller muzzle brakes on my large magnum wildcats.

Again, support yourself with facts, they back you up, do not attack with personal jabs, that is pointless and a true waste of time.

WOW, I was kind of trying to offer you some support but after reading this post, I see your just as much of a fool as those hammering you.

Defend your case with facts, they back you up, no need to make it personal and there is no need for personal attacks from either side. I will be more then willing to debate the topic of multi ring set ups all day long because I would dare say I have more experience testing single set and double sets of rings then most on here simply because it was a nessesity to keep the scopes solidly in place when using my Painkiller muzzle brakes on my large magnum wildcats.

Again, support yourself with facts, they back you up, do not attack with personal jabs, that is pointless and a true waste of time.

I'm no fool and it was not directed towards you.
These clowns think it's a Hollywood prop.. I got sick of it.. Fancy rifle? Isn't that your game Allen. What are these back yard moonshiners talking about. Again I did not direct anything your way.. I can at least say one thing against a hail of BS these clowns keep shooting out the side of their NECKS! Thank You for your Educated words.

I'm no fool and it was not directed towards you.
These clowns think it's a Hollywood prop.. I got sick of it.. Fancy rifle? Isn't that your game Allen. What are these back yard moonshiners talking about. Again I did not direct anything your way.. I can at least say one thing against a hail of BS these clowns keep shooting out the side of their NECKS! Thank You for your Educated words.

You were winning the battle with just facts. Let them squeal all they want, why drop to that level and start throwing out personal attacks. Makes you look like your confident in what your doing and helps them look better. If that is possible......

Stick to your facts and there will be nothing else that needs to be said.

My rifles are functional weapon systems 100%. Fancy rifle, not sure what qualifies for a Fancy rifle but if its offering the highest performance level in their caliber families, I guess that works..... If that was a personal shot at my rifles, fire away. Taken my share of lumps and attacks on this sight. Would barely notice this one. May just be less quick to back someone up from now on though.

You were winning the battle with just facts. Let them squeal all they want, why drop to that level and start throwing out personal attacks. Makes you look like your confident in what your doing and helps them look better. If that is possible......

Stick to your facts and there will be nothing else that needs to be said.

My rifles are functional weapon systems 100%. Fancy rifle, not sure what qualifies for a Fancy rifle but if its offering the highest performance level in their caliber families, I guess that works..... If that was a personal shot at my rifles, fire away. Taken my share of lumps and attacks on this sight. Would barely notice this one. May just be less quick to back someone up from now on though.
NO PERSONAL SHOT
I still respect your comments and you are the only one that got it. The Fancy remark was how I am categorized. Just wanted to relate as you build nice Rigs, They would be called fancy on this post. That's All.. I'm Done, my apologize to you and you only. I'll just shoot my Rigs to the best of their and my capabilities. Might as leave well enough alone.. The Hide gives me more anyway this is a waste, everyone is out for BS not to help. Good Luck to you Allen, we might cross paths some day as I really like those Fancy Rigs you build.. Peace to the rest, keep discouraging others and show your true colors. You are right Allen they almost had me..I am not one of them.

For the record, I never mentioned your rifle, or your scope mounts, or mocked anything, or said it was a hollywood prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.