Not to happy

$425 to $500 per BA excluding return ship is generally the market for a qualified smith for the services you described… if he's supplying a thread protector turned to the barrel and seemless you can add $75ish… at this point, assuming the lead time isn't ridiculous, you're probably better off chalking it up as a lesson learned and let him do the work… return shipping plus ship to and from your next alternative will close the gap some and add to your lead time… that said if it isn't an itemized invoice I would ask him to walk through the details… he may well be including things you're not aware of… but remember as long as he has your stuff butting heads probably won't serve you

I went through something similar a couple decades ago… called in and got rates for a rebarrel and when they called me for payment they had completed what they called a custom conversion package at 2.5 time the cost… we met somewhere in the middle and I learned a lesson and I've used the shop since… figure we both could have communicated better on that one. Since though I never proceed without an itemized estimate… it keeps everyone on the same page and eliminates surprises

Sounds about right considering they are threading the muzzle, alot of smiths that have offered cheaper prices can do that because the customer only supplies the action. The smith orders the barrel from the manufacturer and gets a wholesale discount. They probably make $100-$150 on the barrel itself and if they then charge $375-$450 for just a chamber or $550 for everything (including muzzle thread/brake) then it's basically the same price. $100 is not bad for a muzzle thread.
You have a point about them making additional money on their FFL or dealer discount but they're not making that much money on barrel blanks. Probably not even close

I know what I paid a few years ago to have that work done. But that won't have much relevance on what things are going to cost now and henceforth. Hard to find help these days, and those who are good at what they do are going to make sure that they are compensated at least enough to maintain purchasing power.

I know a lot of small business people. They are cranking their rates like crazy due to a myriad of factors that don't include their own bottom line increasing, such as fuel, materials going up, liability and health insurance, higher rents and property values, higher labor costs, etc, etc. A owner/operator home builder friend said he feels bad about some of the quotes he's giving out, but with everything going up, he's not going to go to shoulder the massive risk of running a business just to make what per hour what Home Depot is paying.

$300 and $125 is what I currently charge. Indicated off the bore to less than 1/10k in the throat and muzzle. Insurance for a manufacturer cost money, but not going to brake the bank.

I've researched and talked to quite a few well known guys in my region and like said before some a little more, a few a little less, but average I would say is in that $3-350 range for a thread and chamber. Muzzle thread goes $75 to $150 on average. If you are not happy with paying whatever your person is charging, LOTS of other choices.

Last edited:
Sounds like the ops fault for not getting a price before sending the parts to the smith. Average around here for a good chamber barrel instal is 400-450. Thread the muzzle about 150-200 so it's not that far off if it's a great smith. You also have to into account if the smith has the reamer in stock or if he has to rent or purchase one.

Prices are going to vary and they can vary a bit depending on the area that is a given. That being said this shops rates seems extreme. Did the shop give you a quote prior to your shipping the actions / barrels to them ? I know I am mirroring what has been said here many times already but there is a reason. If you simply shipped them the components and said "Do It" and they have already performed the work you are more than likely up the proverbial creek. If they have not performed the work and gave you the estimate once they received the components then contact them and simply tell them that is much more than you were expecting and have them return your property. Lesson learned here, Never under any circumstances ship your weapons to a shop to have work performed without an estimate in advance and never turn them over and say, "do it" without knowing the full cost upfront. An estimate is just that, an estimate and once the shop receives the parts they may find something that may need to be done in addition but no reputable shop would simply do the work and then attempt to stick you with a bill you did not authorize.
Best of luck to you brother and let us know how this turns out.

Just got back my 20br cost me $750 that was me sending the defiance action to them and buying the barrel and work from them and shipping to me. Had to wait a year but was worth it.

I charge $300 to turn the tenon, thread, and chamber. It's another $125 to crown and thread the muzzle. Good work is not cheap and cheap work is not good. I guarantee my work and customer satisfaction which is also a service that has a cost. I'm accustomed to particularly good shooting rifles, so I have high standards and expectations on performance.

If you look at the custom rifle market these days and figure the sum of the parts (completed rifle cost) and back out the cost of all the parts, you'll see that most are charging $600+ for the same service, it just gets cloudy in a finished product.

I build every rifle with the same care and attention to detail that I would put into a championship benchrest rifle. They get 110% of me or nothing at all. Some of us put more effort into things like clocking the runout in the bore to TDC or timing flutes etc.. Higher quality work, mirror finish threads cut to spec and gauged, a chamber with the right amount of polish but not so much that it causes bolt thrust, correctly chamfered edges, and proper machining techniques that contribute to a mechanically perfect union between the parts.

I have a lot of investment in high end tooling, measuring equipment, and gauges. This allows me to do my job in a consistent and professional manner that is 2nd to none. I've spent the money to make the investment to do the absolute best work possible. Years of training with some of the biggest names in the industry and continuing my education through research and practical application has allowed me to elevate my work. There are painters, and there are artists. I feel like my dedication to my craft warrants the prices I charge, which I deem fair for my common man.

Everything costs more these days, but I try and keep my prices fair. This is my profession, what I do for a living, not a side job, and I feel like I owe my customers my best work.

I paid $1200 just about a month ago from a very well respected smith, who frequents this forum, to chamber 2 barrels and thread them.
I did that because I bought 2 defiance "prefits" for $2200 1-1/2 years ago from a smith who also frequents this forum.

Those barrels and actions were in his hands 4 times. Still came back jacked up. After 4 times, one of them still wouldn't close on the go gauge… that I sent them.

I'm not interested in badmouthing a sponsor, but $1200 once for a quality product isn't bad.

BTW, I have a Bartlein Carbon "24 .284 barrel that is nearly chambered for 7 Sherman Max . Lol. Could be a 7 max, Mega, WSM, Rum…. I'll make you a deal