Not to happy

Sent 2 barrels and 2 actions off to a shop and I got a invoice at 600 for each chambering and muzzle threaded $1250.00 shipped for 2 barrels chambered and shipping. I may ask them to just mail it all back. What do y'all think?
Yep. Thanks but no thanks.

My gunsmith would be about $550 per barreled action for the same work as the OP. Has his prices gone up, it sure has. However, I go to him because he makes thing right. His prices have gone up to keep his workloads reasonable, so he can provide his services in a timely manner.

You're paying for a persons skill, and sometimes that person your asking to do work has a well earned reputation for his skills. Should that person not ask a premium for his skill and time? I know quite a few people use my same smith on this forum, and I've never once heard regular customer balk at his prices.

Last edited:
Sounds about right considering they are threading the muzzle, alot of smiths that have offered cheaper prices can do that because the customer only supplies the action. The smith orders the barrel from the manufacturer and gets a wholesale discount. They probably make $100-$150 on the barrel itself and if they then charge $375-$450 for just a chamber or $550 for everything (including muzzle thread/brake) then it's basically the same price. $100 is not bad for a muzzle thread.

Being able to walk into your Smith's shop and have an issue addressed if there ever was one counts for a lot. And his turn around time. Like the guys that get barrel work certificates matches and then proceed to wait 12 months. I'd rather just pay for it.

If that's a Smith that isn't super responsive and is quoting 3 to 4 mos I'd absolutely pay for the return shipping.

It's tricky right now. I'm a remage type of guy , so no personal price reflection for you.
Prices on everything are out the roof and we are crumbling as a country . ANYONE who depends on smithing to put food on the table has to be thinking about, if not already doing, a price increase . I'm for anything it takes to push back on inflation , but walk a mile .................

Last edited:

Recent Posts