not impressed with the tack driver bag rest

Blade1

After fooling around with the tack driver rest i have concluded that there has to be better out there. It opened my groups up at 200 yrds to 3 in. I thought it was my load at first. Long story short. I slid my rifle back where it was not confined in the bag and used a rear bag and shot a .600 group at 200 yrds. I knew that couldnt be a good thing. My time on the range has proven to me the more you try to confine a rifle the worse it will shoot.

I am not familiar with the tack driver, but it looks similar to the Bulls bag, which I have. I can't get any consistency with the Bull bag either, and prefer to use a front bag and a rear bag. I never thought to try to slide the rifle back, using the Bull bag as a front rest, and then use a rear bag to support the stock. I will try that next time out.
Hopefully someone will come along that can help you with your situation.

I prefer Caldwell's DeadShot for a front rest. I find that the Tack Driver as well as similar bags like the Bull's don't allow for any moving side-to-side without putting more stress on the rifle. They hold too much of the forearm.

I've only used rests like that at our local range, but quickly started to bring my own along when I discovered that they did nothing for accuracy, and usually hurt it.

I remedied the problem by designing my own permanant rest. Works like a charm. I used a piece of 4 in pvc pipe for my front rest with a notch cut out in the pipe and a homemade shooting sock crammed in the pipe and held in by the 5/8" all thread i used for my vertical supports. I used a 3" pvc cap with another shooting sock on the rear. I carefully drill the hole for the support rod at an angle so the butt of the gun would lay on the rest solid. Works beautifully.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.