Not equipment related methods to improve groups

Shooting groups I do from the bench which I hate and am not as good at as I could be. I have found a few things really improve my results and makes the results more consistent with how me and the gun work together when we're not on a bench.

Lean forward as far as you can, bags instead of bipod, minimum biological input, keep the whole works as low to the bench as you can, dial back magnification until you're not seeing your heartbeat.

Learn the correct basics, get a good ow cost 22 as close to your centerfire, take everyshot asserious as you're shooting a trophy & do this over & over & over. Talk youself thru it for the 1st couple hundred rds. Shoot several thousand rds a year. I have a range on the farm & shoot golf balls at 300 yards with no problem.Also learn to range without carrying an electronis store with you. Carry a range finder with you in your car & guess the range then check & see how close you are until it comes naturally.

Shooting groups I do from the bench which I hate and am not as good at as I could be. I have found a few things really improve my results and makes the results more consistent with how me and the gun work together when we're not on a bench.

Lean forward as far as you can, bags instead of bipod, minimum biological input, keep the whole works as low to the bench as you can, dial back magnification until you're not seeing your heartbeat.

I must respectivly disagee on dialing back on the scoe. A high power scope will teach you how to be still & steady for a shot & learn to shoot between heartbeats if this is long range hunting. If you're shooting 500 yards or less than disregard what I said.

All of the above. As for myself, take a deep breathe, check the wind and get behind the rifle. Relax, tell myself to take my time, and get ready to shoot. I preload the
the bipod, settle the butt in my shoulder pocket. Put cross hairs on the target, ensure I am not putting any tension on the rifle that might cause it to move. Slow inhale, slow exhale to empty, and then slowly squeeze the trigger, all the way back after the shot, and keep the scope on the target. Then I check where the shot went. Except for the mechanics of settling the rifle in and putting cross hairs on the target and the mechanics of shooting, the rest is mostly mental to stay consistent. Once the shot has been fired, tell myself "don't worry about it because there is now nothing to change where it went," and go on to the next shot. For me, not obsessing on a prior shot is why the mental rest before the next shot.

Thanks for the great input on the methods that you practice. I am trying to improve my methods and all replies are greatly appreciated.

One thing I didn't mention is some rifle like a firm hold, some almost none at all which is the way I like to shoot but the key is hours of practicing to right way, learning to read distance & wind & the bonus is all the fun you have shooting. Good luck!

I must respectivly disagee on dialing back on the scoe. A high power scope will teach you how to be still & steady for a shot & learn to shoot between heartbeats if this is long range hunting. If you're shooting 500 yards or less than disregard what I said.
My mindset is the same. Higher magnification multiplies my hold movements. I have always used the high magnifications to pick a smaller spot on the target at long range.

Shoot between heartbeats. Laugh.

How about learn how to shoot so that your heartbeat is a non issue.

EDIT: Also, it's respectfully, not respectively. You make us all look like farking morons when you use words you don't know the meaning of.

I like to dry fire watching the sight picture the whole time. nothing can move
not at all. Pull rifle back with 3 fingers. One on trigger..Thumb does nothing
no holding or gripping nothing! I use Bix n Andy 2 stage marksman triggers set at 1.5#
first stage and 'think about it" on the second like 2.5OZ. Control is important!
Breathing practice at the same time...
And a ball point pen is good for finger work! try to make the point go in and out at the same timing over and over...

Last edited:
All the above is good, but IMHO, learn through bio- feedback how to slow your heart rate. Shoot between the beats. With high magnification, you can see the movement each time your heart beats. For me it'll make a half inch difference where my groups land. A great trigger will also help. On the mental side, read the book, "With winning in mind". It'll change your life.

All the bench shooters are going to want x25 +mag. :rolleyes:

There are more important things to consider for field conditions in making a sub moa SINGLE shot, first round impact. Magnification does not help you with this. You only need to see the target. You shouldn't be looking at a specific part of the target be it living or not anyways, you should be looking at the reticle. If you are using iron sights correctly it would be the same thing. Target should be a blur, eye on front sight.

Magnification hurts exit pupil, unnecessarily introduces scope quiver, magnifies mirage, and reduces field of view if situational awareness is a thing. This is also know as tracking (not related to turret tracking). A reduced field of view also makes it hard to trace your shot through the scope, something that maybe not on this thread but on this particular forum is a mystery in itself to some people. You're target only needs to be visibly clear and shooting during your respiratory pause is plenty fine.

Stay in shape, stay healthy and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. I been guilty of getting fat. Losing a few pounds really helps and can help ensure you get to shoot for many years and even share your passion as your family grows and matures.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.