Nosler m48 long range

hammer111

Just found out about this rifle. I like the pieces they used to put this gun together. Anyone own this rifle. Thinking about the 6.5 or 26.

Previously I was contemplating the Remington 5r gen ll in 6.5 since their not making the .260.

I think the Remington might have the advantage of a better barrel,but I want a 26' barrel which the m48 has.

Paying for it is a whole other conversation. Does anyone want to adopt a 58 year old kid.

This could be my last gun............ I think.

Just found out about this rifle. I like the pieces they used to put this gun together. Anyone own this rifle. Thinking about the 6.5 or 26.

Previously I was contemplating the Remington 5r gen ll in 6.5 since their not making the .260.

I think the Remington might have the advantage of a better barrel,but I want a 26' barrel which the m48 has.

Paying for it is a whole other conversation. Does anyone want to adopt a 58 year old kid.

Never say last gun lol . as you get older the guns that we buy are just nicer and more expensive.
Ordered a new rifle last year it's a cooper firearms long range in a 28 Nosler with a 26 inche proof research barrel ended up putting a swarovski X5I 5-25 ×56 .by far the most I've spent on a gun... shop around many manufacturers out there that will build a gun of your dreams. Have fun choosing your new gun .

Thanks Tom , I was kidding about last gun.

For now this the gun of my dreams. When I pay off some bills, there will be another gun of my dreams.

And I'm still holding out to be adopted.

Seriously if you look at how this gun is put together, it's got to be a performer.

Thanks Tom , I was kidding about last gun.

For now this the gun of my dreams. When I pay off some bills, there will be another gun of my dreams.

And I'm still holding out to be adopted.

Seriously if you look at how this gun is put together, it's got to be a performer.
I'm waiting to win the lottery

Aren't most Nosler rifles a bit short in the mag? If you don't plan on hand loading then it's a moot point but if you want to load long bullets out near the lands it could be a deal breaker in my opinion.

Acworth Cabela's had a .260 available 2 weeks ago when I was in there.

Prior to learning this I had considered having my smith run the .260
Reamer in a 6.5 CM for my son. Why Not?

Acworth Cabela's had a .260 available 2 weeks ago when I was in there.

Prior to learning this I had considered having my smith run the .260
Reamer in a 6.5 CM for my son. Why Not?

I checked their website, they showed a 6.5
With a 24" barrel.
Don't know if it's a typo but long range has a 26" barrel.

Nosler website doesn't offer a 260 in this rifle, but they list a 26.

I have a m48 longrange in 33n, stainless barrel not the carbon long range. Only two things I found not positive about the rifle. I have one of the earier ones, where there is a relief channel in the cheek piece for the bolt to run back into. With the sloppyness of the bolt the cocking piece contacts the channel, if you run the bolt hard it will decock the rifle. You need to pull out the bolt and turn the cocking piece to get it to close again. That ones fairly major.. the newer rifles have the cheek piece cut lower so the issue isnt there.
The other is mag length. You are limited to 3.4" in the long action, the trigger design on the action doesn't let you go to a longer mag box like a rem 700/ 700clone. Depending on bullet you could be jumping a long ways being limited to 3.4" oal.

Those two things aside, mine is super accurate rifle.

Couple pics, tossed in a 225ttsx from a black bear shot at 37yards. Target shot with the same load.

Attachments

• 92000595-661E-4A3B-8523-2DFBA33117D1.jpeg
    92000595-661E-4A3B-8523-2DFBA33117D1.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 126
  • C972A565-0C8D-4EB1-B8BD-A522FD875C71.jpeg
    C972A565-0C8D-4EB1-B8BD-A522FD875C71.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 133
  • CB391294-157B-4B57-B12C-640713DB7BAE.jpeg
    CB391294-157B-4B57-B12C-640713DB7BAE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • 1590F220-0E0D-4F3F-89A1-C47885A41EA3.png
    1590F220-0E0D-4F3F-89A1-C47885A41EA3.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 153
You don't think they addressed mag issue on the new ones?

I think regardless of the mag length, you can still get better performance with reloading than with off the shelf ammo.

I'm sold. Now my biggest problem is getting the funds together.

Nice grouping. Wow 33 n. Gotta kick like a mule.

Last edited:
You don't think they addressed mag issue on the new ones?

I think regardless of the mag length, you can still get better performance with reloading than with off the shelf ammo.

I'm sold. Now my biggest problem is getting the funds together.

Nice grouping. Wow 33 n. Gotta kick like a mule.
The recoil is fairly fast, likely sharper than what most people can shoot well with. It's def more kick than I enjoy, but its easy pack that weight and I prefer more HP for elk/moose/bear.

Oddly enough its a good LR rifle, but the furthers game I have shot with it is 62 yards. Recovered that ttsx from that bear shot quartering away, went from last rib to just inside the hide on the fromt edge of the offside shoulder. Didn't recover the bullets I put in the moose this year, both were complete pass throughs.

I have a new Model 48 Nosler Longe Range, also in 33 Nosler. My load of choice is the 225 gr. Sledge Hammer in front of a less than maximum charge of RL22, @ 3028fps. OACL: 3.343
Best 5 shot group @ 100 yds:.543. The rifle does wear a muzzle brake, which I'd say puts the recoil in the range of a 7 pound .30-06 (without a brake). I have a moose & grizzly hunt coming up next September, so just for the heck of it I took it whitetail hunting this fall. Neither the NY State buck hit behind the shoulder (104 yds), nor the NYS doe hit in neck (145 yds.), took another step. I like the rifle a lot, and while the 33N is a bit much for deer, the recoil was totally unnoticeable in the field. I'd certainly recommend it to a friend...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.