Nosler Long Range shorting hand loaders

A Box of Nosler Accubond bullets are readily available at most stores. Probably because they cost $70 a box. I know it doesn't cost them $10 to make the box of ammo. There is no reason to charge that kind of money for a box of ammo. Weatherby is another example of ammo that is over priced.

Walk into most any sporting goods store and look at the shelf. You will find a supply of most ammo. What you wont find is Gun powder, Brass, Bullets. So I guess all the re loaders are to blame. Hopefully things will get better.
Before I started reloading, my Federal Premium 7mm STW ammo with 160 Accubonds was over $70 a box. So was my Weatherby brand .257 Wby ammo with 110 Accubonds. At which point I said, "Swrew this!" and went and bought my reloading setup. Best thing I've ever done.

TALL...America is based off of supply and demand. Others are willing to pay more than you. The sellers are going to cater and sell to them. If you think it is to much then buy off there competition. If the competition is in the same price and availability then you have to ask yourself if its worth it and if its a need item or a want item.

You would sell something that you own, to a person willing to pay more for it than to a person that is willing to pay less for it?

If your not willing to pay for it the next guy in line nowadays will. Endure, Suffer, or get out.

Sorry, but that's what you have to do.

Perhaps as a result of yesterday's election we will see an increase in supply and a decrease in gougers super-profiting form our misery.

TALL...America is based off of supply and demand. Others are willing to pay more than you. The sellers are going to cater and sell to them. If you think it is to much then buy off there competition. If the competition is in the same price and availability then you have to ask yourself if its worth it and if its a need item or a want item.

You would sell something that you own, to a person willing to pay more for it than to a person that is willing to pay less for it?

If your not willing to pay for it the next guy in line nowadays will. Endure, Suffer, or get out.

Sorry, but that's what you have to do.

+1^^^^. That's exactly what I was thinking. They teach economics in just about every high school across the US to explain this concept. as manufactured ammo became more difficult to find due to fears about the current administrations stance, people started hoarding it. Other people began finding a niche and selling it on gunbroker.com etc for prices that gave them a profit, so now the issue is not only hoarding from shooters, but others trying to incorporate a capitalistic spirit into this mix. So, when ammo on the shelf became scarce and/or expensive, hunters which had bypassed reloading due to the initial expense, finally gave in so that they could make their own. As a consequence, reloading supplies started to disappear and once again... Hoarding began. As we all know, when supply is low and demand is high, price goes up. This is nothing new. Does it stink... Yes, but to blame the manufacturers and the government is essentially one small piece of the real problem. Those that pointed the finger back at us are closer to the mark. I'm guilty as the next guy of buying more than I need (which isn't an excessive amount), so that I know I can shoot for a while. Has it hurt my pocketbook.... Heck yeah, but its a price I'm willing to pay in order to be able to have ammo to shoot. I have heard that Homeland Security has put in orders for insane amounts of ammo, which I have lifted an eyebrow at, but it is what it is.

Some people get angry about wolf hunting, others about global warming, or drunk driving. There's always something a person can find to be angry about, but getting upset about Keynesian economics seems like a bad plan because it is totally out of your control. You will spend your time upset a good bit of the time if you let something as volatile as economics affect your mood.

Last edited:
I apologise for coming off over the top and a little extreme. I understand we all have to keep level heads. I think that evil prevails when good people sit back and do nothing. I am a hunter and hobbiest long range shooter, hand loader. I am venting my frustrations because what our world has come to is broken.

My point is that many of the ammo companies have figured that they can buy up all the gun powder, load there own premium ammo, sell it for 700% profits. I guess they can do that if they want but it doesn't make it right. I may be wrong in the way I view this but this is how I see it.

What I know is that it will take 6 months to a year to find enough of the kind of gun powder to load my loads for just a handful of supplies. It used to be when I need powder I could run down buy a pound of this or that depending on what product sounded like the best. Now we can't even find a can of powder of anything usable. Want to buy a good quality bullet to load, good luck with that. You better be hitting every sporting good store every gun store every week. Who has time and money to do all of that. I just think more of us need to be asking more questions and holding people accountable. We should be asking "why?" and making companies and government answer the questions.

I understand that Guns and emotions such as anger don't mix. We have to keep level heads but at the same time we don't have to sit back and do nothing.

Tall, hope you voted Republican all the way. that is one way to help us all.
SEMPER FI....SARGESNIPER

Idiots are buying up all the retail powder, bullets, and brass, and it's sitting in their safes waiting for the apocalypse that will never come.

There's that, and also much more of the bulk buying going on. I used to pick up powder a couple of pounds at a time when I needed it, but those days are gone as far as I can tell, at least around here.

At one local store, I asked the manager if he could get me some H1000. He said that they don't "order" specific powders, they just get a shipment off the truck, so its more or less what ever some distribution guy thinks. The powder then disappears off the shelves after a day or so.

I did find plenty of H1000 at the tanner gun show, and it was only $30/lb. Not bad, and cheaper than ordering online with the hazmat fee.

The mass-buying and hoarding of powders, primers, and bullets had slowed down to a crawl for several months now...Then all of a sudden it just started picking back up several weeks ago, from what my buddy who works at my local store said. He said for months Varget sat on the shelves and they had about 150 lbs in stock...Now the shelves are all bare again.

Tall, hope you voted Republican all the way. that is one way to help us all.
SEMPER FI....SARGESNIPER

I like your comment, Yes I voted smart, straight Republican. We need some good laws protecting gun ownership and Protecting our 2nd amendment rights. Any body attempting to prevent gun ownership or propose legislation that would prevent law abiding citizens the right to owning and using firearms should be charged with treason.

Tall, You do realize the LRAB comes 100 to a box and not 50 like most premium Nosler bullets right? I just looked at midway and found them to be cheaper than regular Accubonds and Bregers. I have found them as cheap as 43.00 per 100 for 168 gr 7mm's by shopping around recently.

Two different sportsmen's in the Boise valley last week,one had h4831,nosler accubonds,the other had IMR7828sc and nosler accubonds.Bi mart in Emmett id had 140 grn .277 accubonds,until i left.I guess i'm just lucky?

Yeah... Not sure what happened at sportsmans warehouse, but I went into our local branch in twin falls and it was like Christmas started early. They had more inventory in than I have seen in nearly a year. Too bad funds are low right now or I would have picked up a number of wanted/needed items. They even had a bunch of Nosler and hornady brass which has been out of stock forever. Crazy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.