Nosler BTs not exploding

BCDeerWild

I have read alot about NBTs being extremely frangible and am wondering if I ended up with a bad batch. I am using 180s at 3200 in a 300Wby in a Rem 700 and haven't had a one breakup. The closest was a muley at about 80 yards that went through both front shoulders, last day of season so I wasn't taking chances. Hit bone going in so I found bone fragements through-out both holes but no lead. Deer still ran about 30 yards with 4" of bone gone from one front shoulder and a fist size hole in the other. The farthest was about 450 through the ribs with a 30 cal hole both sides, hit a rib exiting. The only one that I have found was this year, the deer was about 330 yards qaurting hard away. Nicked the back legbone going in then exited the ribs at the junction of the far front leg, then went into the front shoulder. Haven't wieghed the bullet yet but lookes like most of it's there. Picked up some new BTs but would still appreciate some thoughts on this.

BCDW, Not all Bt blow up everytime. You are using the heavier ones for caliber. Use a 150 or 165 and more explosions would be noted. Most folks like the "instant stops" but stay off bone and try for lung shots up close. Still a great bullet for light animals, but the new Accubonds are basically BT on steroids! Basically a bonded BT with the solid base. You can use an Accubond in your caliber & velocity on almost anything walking in the US. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bc,
I used the silver tips in a .270. I quit using them I had shot a doe at 80 yards and the bullet broke into 3 pieces. The doe ran about 40 yards and was down. The exit wound was about an 18 inch radius of hamburger. I will never use these bullets on live game again. I have switched to swift bullets using the Aframes and the Sciroccos.

Take care Aaron

I have had the same problems with ballistic tips. At close range driving them at high speed they will act like varmint bullets damage a lot of meat. But at long range were the bullet has slowed they make some of the best looking mushrooms.
Were I hunt you may get shots at 30 yards up to 1000 if youare will to shoot that far. I have switched to the bonded bullets. I think they are a lot better than the Ballistic tips in my hunting situations.
This Interbond was fired at above 3400 fps @ 90 yards into a 300 lb whitetail retaining 115 grains of 154.
My son recovered a 150 Ballistic tip this year and it was 33 grains. Only thing left was the jacket and the deer had massive damage detroying both shoulders.
Here is a pic of the Interbond and I can find the BT to take a picture. I will see him later today to get it.

bullet2.jpg

I can't tell you when and what calibers but on other forums the guys are reporting that nosler changed the jacket taper on the .308 hunting ballistic tips. There are some guys there reporting that they are holding up well. (Even in the big mags.) Maybe an e-mail to nosler would tell approx when these changes took place.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts