7mm, 22 and more wildcats. Bullets exploding on the 7mm.

Just for clarification, I am not advertising, we are not current gunsmiths and havent been since the 60's. I am just sharing my thoughts, so don't ask me to build barrels, rebores, etc.

Hello everyone, My family and I have been into guns since the 60's. My grandfather bought out the Phoenix gunsmith named Bill Sucalie. My dad and grandfather started their own gunsmithing and barrell making shop here in phoenix after they had bought all of Sucalies equipment. They primarily concentrated on barrel making only. They started with a Diamond dual spindle gundrill, a Pratt & Whitney Barrel reamer and the heart of the operation, the Diamond sine bar Cut rifling machine. They had primarily done Winchester re-bores, and also made the common calibers from those days in bolt action rifles, as well as a few of their own wildcats.

Here is a video of when we first got the rifling machine restored and cutting a barrel:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnKSfDUCWY[/ame]

The first one my grandfather actually designed and built while the Barrel making equipment was still at Sucalies shop in 1965, but my grandfather had already purchased the equipment. It is a 378 Weatherby shortened about .150" and necked down to 7mm. I regularly still shoot this cartridge for elk and deer hunting. The gun he made it off of was a Remington Enfield model 1917 (P17) from WW1 Surplus guns. Because they were cheap and strong. As many of you know this gun was chambered in the 30-06 but the action was originally devoloped for the 280 cannadian Ross. The magazine is made long enough and the action is as well to take a over all length of the cartrige to be 3.850" long.

The only downfall to this case is the softer brass of the Norma brass. Other than that it is an excellent setup. 180 Grain Bergers I shoot at 3250 FPS for a nice smooth load, and have shot up to 3400 FPS but the cases stick fairly heavily. I shoot 168 grain Bergers at 3350 smoothly as well. Before Berger and such came to the market, we were shooting 150 grain Nosler at close to 3500 feet a second for a load. The main problem with Sierra match kings and Bergers is bullet explosion with the 31" long barrel. We have talked to Berger about this and they say because of the long barrel, and the increased time of friction, that they have seen this issue in the past as well, and recommended we shoot a target bullet and it would expand enough for hunting, with the thicker jacket. In the mean time to not have the bullet explosion at 20 yard problem, we have been shooting Barnes solid copper bullets, from the 150 to the 168 LRX bullets, at least this way we don't have to worry about the bullet not getting there.

Here is the gun I built on the same 1917 action, with a 4142 Chromoly barrel, 31" long, Mark 4 Skope, etc.

l9QWjCH.jpg

uHSHwUn.jpg

SNiojs4.jpg

teN6uEB.jpg

Here is the cartridge in comparison to others. From left to right

280 Remington, 7mm Mag, 7mm STW, and our 7mm Blake Mag

0X4tIp8.jpg

The second wildcat they devoloped was the 7mm Mauser / 8mm Mauser cartridge necked down to 22 caliber. This was developed for my dad to take deer hunting. My grandfather wanted a gun that could reach out there and not kick to bad for at the time my 10 year old dad to shoot. This cartridge shoots a 55 grain Nosler at 4100 FPS.

Here is the 22 Blake compared to the parent case of the 7mm Mauser:

UHAwGiL.jpg

The third was the 30-40 Krag blown out straighter. This was made for the model 1895 Winchester that my grandfathers brother hunted with. The 30-40 krag in the Springfield action could not benefit from this wildcat as the single lug action could not take the increased pressure. But the model 95 Winchester was a much stronger action and could benefit.

Here is the original 30-40 Krag next to the 30-40 Blake Improved:

8mJTcmL.jpg

Man, it's a shame yall aren't doing work....My .257 Wby Mark V Accumark came from Weatherby with a junk barrel, and I have been wanting to keep the rifle looking like it is, but bore it to a .264" (if possible) or .284" bore (if there's not enough material for .264") and re-rifle it so my rifle is useable again. I hate to scrap a nice almost new fluted stainless barrel.

Since you are not doing this, but you have been around it for many years, do you know someone who can help me out? My smith can snatch the barrel and rechamber and reinstall, so all I need is the boring and re-rifling done.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mud

Welcome to Classic Barrel & Gunworks

any re-boring is a crapshoot from what I've heard.... I wouldn't expect anything and would only do it to an awesome (exterior) condition rifle with a burned throat. I say you put up with your 257 roy 'till she's burned up Muddy and then do the deed.

For $35 I thought about the Tubbs bullets...But haven't made up my mind. It still makes me sick to think they can proudly call their products "hand-built customs", but don't even run patches down the bore to clean them out/check them first... They would have noticed it immediately, if they had. Might be nice rifles, but the day mine was made QC was certainly not in full-force.

That .22 looks like my .257SLR. It produces 3,919 feet per second with G.S. Custom 85HV bullets from a 26" Pac-Nor barrel. I guess there is nothing new under the sun.

I would have named it the 7AM BM, just for laughs. That improved 30-40 would be pretty wicked in a scout rifle. Make a good brush gun.

That .22 looks like my .257SLR. It produces 3,919 feet per second with G.S. Custom 85HV bullets from a 26" Pac-Nor barrel. I guess there is nothing new under the sun.

Not much, and things are rarely unique. The .22/7mm sounds like it may have been developed at the same time as the .224 Clark. I can't say he was first, but Ken Clark did as much as anyone to advance 75-85 grain bullets of .224 diameter.

Mudrunner you've maligned that poor thing in several posts. What do you have to have for that paperweight.gun):D

I was just asking if he knew anyone who could bore it and re-rifle it, since his video was of them doing the same thing to another barrel.

What I'd love to get out of it, and what someone is willing to pay are 2 different things...Which is why I feel stuck with it. It's hard to, in good conscience, get rid of something with a defect, even though your average shooter would never know the difference.

The main reason I brought it up again was because it pertained to his post...And because having useless guns in my safe bugs the hell out of me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.