Nosler AccuBond/RCBS Seating Issue

Texas Hunter

I'm attempting to seat 375 HH AccuBond bullets using an RCBS standard seating die. The die leaves a ring on the bullet. I've also had this issue with 30.06 Springfield bullets.

Any suggestions other than having RCBS make custom seating plugs? Which die sets work best with AccuBond bullets?

The following is the RCBS response:

"This bullet has a long profile. The seat plug seats to the
ogive and the profile isn't fitting the seat plug. We do make special
order plugs. If you have the ability to deepen the plug, it should work
for your bullet."

Have you tried polishing the plug with some emory cloth on a small cal brush in a drill? I have done this and it might help.

Or, if the bullet is bottoming out in the plug, you will need to drill the center of the plug deeper so the bullet is seated by the plug pushing on the ogive of the bullet , not the bullet tip.

Jeff

Last edited:
I had issues with RCBS seating dies year ago. I never could get a consistent, uniform seating depth with the dies that I had. I went with Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Dies and haven't looked back. Their in-line seater's work great. JohnnyK.

Thanks for the input, I believe I'll purchase the Lock-N-Load conversion kit for my RCBS and try the Hornady seating die. It will be less costly than having RCBS make customer seater plugs (17.50 + shipping + tax). Hopefully it will work well with Nosler bullets.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Regards;

I had the same problem a while back myself. I talked to someone @ RCBS and they had me mail the seater and the bullet to them and they reworked it and I have not had a problem since.

Unfortunately they did not make me that offer, they told me I could send them 5 bullets and they would make a customer seater plug for 17.50. That's why I've decided to try the Hornady seater die. RCBS did say that this is becoming a persistent issue, however it's hard to say how long it will be before they do anything different.

Maybe not to long from now we will be able to by the stem for the bullet we use. I never had problems with it leaving a ring on Accubonds, Sst's, Nosler ballistic tips, it was Vld's that were getting the ring on them and that's my favorite bullet to use so I could see fixing it.

I also had the same problem with a .308 Winchester. I found when I used a compressed load the ring was being left. I guess it was the little force I was using to seat the bullet down. I even had a few bullets stick to the seater stem and had to take it apart to remove it before I figuered out what it was. I changed powder in the .308 and haven't had the problem again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.