Seating of Accubond Bullets

Jtomlinson

Can anyone say if, in general, Accubonds shoot better when seated close to the land, say within .010" or I am I better to seat them as short as possible, my rifle is a.270 Win.

I realise all rifles will have their own preferences but I am interested what others have found?

600Nitro, I'm loading a 180 Accubond in my '06 pushing it to 2800fps. I'm staying back off my lands between .005 & .008 and so far my avgerage group for that is .350 for 5 shots out of a varmint contour barrel @100 yd. I'd say seat 'em out there and see what happens. Not the same caliber, just the same bullet. This is my hard target load, everything else is exterminated w/ a 175 VLD put right on the lands.

Nitro

A master gunsmith/bench rest shooter once told me
when I ask the same question.

QUOTE; Unless the bullet touches the lands it cant
align the round, so ether touch the land and load
down or back off .020 to .050 for safety and load
up to signs of pressure and then back off 1gr.

He also said if your real close some rounds may
touch and some not due to headspace and tempture.

So be carefull when seating close or against the
lands.

J E CUSTOM

In 2 270 Win barrels, one Douglas and replaced w/a Lilja, my experience has been as follows:

Seat Hornady Interlocks or any spire point with the case mouth in the cannelure. Seems they light to jump into the rifling. BTW, they shoot great.

Any spitzer or similar seating them as long as possible works best. They problem was that the overall length that shot the best wouldn't work in the magazine.

130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips are seated as long as possible. They shoot super well also.

Now all of my hunting rifles are single shot.....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.