North NM in December

Time Killer

I am going to be Elk hunting in northern New Mexico in December.
I am assuming it will be pretty chilly, but still will be doing a bunch of hiking around.
I am gathering all of my gear up now.
How much thinsulate should I get in my boots...400, 800, 1000?
Help a rookie out here.
Thanks in advance.

I had some Browning's with 800 in them. I loved them in Farmington as my feet did not get too hot and not too cold. I use to work for Farmington Electric and was out of the truck sometimes all day in 18" of snow in them. I just got some new boots with 400 in them, nice and toasty when it was 25 degrees in the morning but getting too warm when it warmed up to the high 60's in mid October. I would go with the 800's and buy some wool socks you can change out of if getting too hot. If your feet are too cold take some knee high stockings, don't laugh they prevent blisters and keep your feet warm.

If you are on the move, stalking and hiking, I think you will be fine with 400 grams of insulation as long as they are waterproof. I just got back a couple of weeks ago from a 2nd season rifle hunt in CO. We hunted in 12+ inches of snow with lows in the teens during the morning hours and my Kenetreks did fine. My feet did get cold in the early hours but warmed up nicely. For me, sweating in my boots is worse than being just a bit cold.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.