Choice in Knives ?

One more for the Havalon Piranta. Carry that plus any other decent folder for use around bones or when prying needs to be done. The folding knife will stay sharp forever if you use the Havalon for cutting hide, skinning, gutting and slicing and only use the folder for heavy when the blade is going to get torqued. My second knife varies, but recently have been carrying a CRKT folder made of AUS 8 steel.

No gut hook. Buck for field dressing and skinning. Havalon for caping the head. The two work wonderful together.

Knives of Alaska Elk Hunter and a fillet knife. KoA knife stays sharp, went though an elk and a deer before it needed sharpened.

Bought 2 of those Havalons last year for Chirstmas presents but didn't get one for myself, been meaning to.

Knives of Alaska Elk Hunter and a fillet knife. KoA knife stays sharp, went though an elk and a deer before it needed sharpened.

Bought 2 of those Havalons last year for Chirstmas presents but didn't get one for myself, been meaning to.

+1 Knives of Alaska. Thats all you need.

I have had a ton of knives but have found that the perfect combo is a havalon piranta combined with an outdoor edge swingblade. great gutting blade along with a tough drop point and the havalon is the sharpest knife around for deboning and caping.

Chris Reeves Nyala knife. Excellent balance, comfortable in the hand, and blade easy to keep sharp. Pricey but worth it...

The Havalon is the only knife I carry on most hunts depending on the amount of field dressing required. It makes short work of medium game animals like deer and bears where I just skin and quarter. The heavy boned critters like moose and elk, I have a bone saw and a couple thick bladed knives for better leverage in between joints, but I always carry the havalon and the necessary supply of blades.

Well I guess I'm odd man out here, but I love gut hooks, & own many, & have used many, from Buck, Gerber, Kershaw, & Leatherman etc.
I have a fixed blade JWH Custom that a cary along with a fixed blade Gerber with a gut hook. Both have a skinning blade shape, but the Gerber is for the dirty work, & the JWH Custom is for the skinning etc so they stay Sharp for thier intended use, but compliment eachother. Either is capable of completing the whole task, but you'd have to touch up the blade on the Gerber at least once if you were to gut, skin, & quarter, or bone out anything bigger than a deer.
The JWH Custom holds an edge like no other knife I've ever owned. It's a freakin Razor. I've never done more than wipe the blade clean durring a field job, & keep goin. It's Amazing.
I always cary a Leatherman & a folding Gerber, or Buck in my pack. It's handy on those rare occasions when your camp fills multiple tags on the same day, & you don't have time to sharpen your steel with all the field dressing, & packing. Multiple bears, or multiple Elk are a big chore for any knife.

Just Google jwhcustomknives.com & you'll see why I love mine.
Jack is a way cool guy, & builds a real good knife. He actually took some of my 270WSM rifle brass from a couple bear kills, & imbedded the case heads into the handle for me. Looks awesome. I gotta send him some Bear claws, & Elk ivorys for my next ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.